Redis changes its licencing model, it uses SSPLv1

Oscar Besga

Mar 21, 2024, 6:49:34 AMMar 21
to Jedis

Basically, it changes from BSD to SSPLv1, like mongodb.
This change will be effective in version 7.4 and will apply to all newerr versions.

My understanding is:
- Redis will be free to use into your projects, private or public or opensource; that doesn't offer Redis functionality directly.
- This is aimed against cloud revendors like AmazonAWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud that replicate/resell Redis funcionality.
- Regardless of this, sure Redis usage will be impacted and a lot of people will not like it and will discontinue support or extension of RedisDB
- Time to explore alternatives ? Lije KeyDB ?

Ok, what do you guys think about this ?

(this forum is almost dead, for what I can see)

Sazzadul Hoque

Mar 21, 2024, 11:13:45 AMMar 21
to jedis...@googlegroups.com
[Not commenting on the main topic]

About
this forum is almost dead

Not surprising, is it?
Almost all google-groups that I am a member/subscriber of are almost dead because of facebook groups and others.
With github discussions, (github issues, which people use as discussions), discord, etc, it is happening to this group as well.

Oscar Besga

Mar 21, 2024, 2:44:52 PMMar 21
to Jedis
Thanks, I'll engage on discord.

BTW, will this affect the work on Jedis ?

Thanks for your work

Sazzadul Hoque

Mar 22, 2024, 9:46:30 AMMar 22
to jedis...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Oscar Besga

Apr 3, 2024, 4:52:59 PMApr 3
to Jedis
My final thoughts in this case.
I understand that making a product / project and paying the development process while other bahamuts take it for free and profit the millions can be infuriating and frustrating. Sometimes, they obfuscate you by the seer force of being the big fish in the tank. Amazon, Google and others offering your service and your product with no payback, nor in money, nor in code, nor in anything but good words and pats on the back is barely acceptable. I can understand this move.
In the other hand, they have been profiting in being an open-source project. By contributions (Redis core and drivers), distribution (linux distros including in their repos), free advertising, and sympathy for being an open source project; they have grown and expanded on this. Other products, not being open source, didn't have this benefits. Now, changing suddenly the licence feels like a betrayal on people who have chosen and invested on that project. Specially when you do it with little time to prepare, without warning and from one minor version to another. This move seems more like a money-grabbing trap than an investment and project protection. And it also has hurt the confidence in the project. I don't think this was a good move.
For the moment, I will continue using Redis as a lot of people (I suspect), because for my use - not reselling the product as service but using it inside my project - doesn't seem to be affected. But I have my trust somehow broken and will keep an eye on alternatives.

As an aside, these are (new and old) alternatives for Redis