Log error after installation

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 1:31:29 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Ok, I've re-downloaded jcryptool and I have the actual program (I had some trouble with that before). I go to open the application and get this error "An error has occurred. See the log file /Users/kryptic/Documents/.jcryptool/.metadata/.log." So I went to terminal and this is what I got for the log file and my java version. I've downloaded jcryptool twice, unzipped and got the same error both times. Please help, I don't know what else to do.

Dominik Schadow

Nov 12, 2017, 2:26:19 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Hi Robert,

Sorry for the trouble. I can see that you are using Java 9. Are you using a JCrypTool weekly build available here? https://www.cryptool.org/en/jct-downloads/weekly The stable builds do not support Java 9 yet, but the weekly builds should.

And I would be interested in the log file /Users/kryptic/Documents/.jcryptool/.metadata/.log. Can you please attach that to your post? Please note that the file and directories are hidden by default. Feel free to mask your username in there.

Thanks, Dominik

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:07:09 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Ok, I'm downloaded the weekly build now. Where do I get the log file to attach it to my post? I typed '/Users/kryptic/Documents/.jcryptool/.metadata/.log' into safari and I got an empty folder titled 'metadata'. Other than that I just entered it into terminal and it told me 'access denied'.

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:08:08 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Oh, and I got the same error with the weekly build.

Dominik Schadow

Nov 12, 2017, 3:12:43 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
.log is a file, you should be able to copy it in the terminal to a non hidden folder/file and attach it here.

In case you don‘t need Java 9 I recommend uninstalling it and switching to Java 8. J9 changed a lot.

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:17:03 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Ok I'll get java 8. Do I just enter .log, or the whole thing from the error message?

Dominik Schadow

Nov 12, 2017, 3:19:08 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
The whole path. Use cp path/.log targetpath/log to grab it.

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:26:30 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
I'm sorry im new to this stuff. What do you mean by that?

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:27:17 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
And where can I find java 8?

Dominik Schadow

Nov 12, 2017, 3:30:00 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
In the Terminal type

cp /Users/kryptic/Documents/.jcryptool/.metadata/.log /Users/kryptic/Documents/log

That will copy the hidden log file to a visible log file in your Documents folder.

Java 8 is available here just scroll down http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:33:36 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
Ok, here it is. Im downloading java 8 now. I'll let you know what happens.
log

Robert Cager

Nov 12, 2017, 3:51:17 PM11/12/17
to JCrypTool Users
I installed java 8 and jcryptool is still giving me the sam error message. Also, even though I have installed java 8, I go to terminal and enter the 'java -version' command, it still says java 9. I've enabled java 8 in the settings too. how do I change that?

simlei

Nov 13, 2017, 8:46:21 AM11/13/17
to JCrypTool Users
Hi Robert,
I'm not an OSX user myself, but I imagine it will be more or less the same procedure as under any Unix-based system: You will have to tell the OS by means of environment variables. This StackOverflow thread details that, the topmost voted answer looks correct and promising. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21964709/how-to-set-or-change-the-default-java-jdk-version-on-os-x

As you may suspect there are more "streamlined" ways to do that. Not being on OSX, I can't say anything about homebrew, but I have seen that program mentioned many times, and here are instructions how to install and switch between multiple java versions through homebrew (installing a programm called "jenv" through it)
You will end up with something simple like this: jenv global oracle64-1.8.0.05
to change your java version, with convenient "list java environments" etc tooling so you won't even have to wonder about the specific version after the "1.8"

Personally, I would go for just uninstalling your previous Java (if that is even necessary, but it's preventing possible headaches I think) and then  go for the homebrew solution. Seems foolproof & virtually guaranteed to work imo.

Let us know how it goes. I will definitely follow up on that startup problem and would be glad to be able to get back to you in time about details if I need more information.

Dominik Schadow

Nov 13, 2017, 3:02:07 PM11/13/17
to JCrypTool Users
Best is to uninstall Java 9. Java 8 and 9 use different directories, so both versions exist. Have a look at the /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ directory which should contain two directories (one 1.8.0 and the other one with 9). Delete the whole 8 and 9 directory and re-install Java 8 (sudo rm -rf [directoryName]. Be careful with the directory name and only execute that in the /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ directory with the exact Java directory name. This is the easiest solution and will set all env variables to Java 8. Otherwise you have to check the environment variables which is a little bit harder.