Adding French to the Substitution Analysis ?

Bruno Vernay

Mar 18, 2018, 11:36:40 AM3/18/18
to JCrypTool Developers
Hi,
I found the Substitution analysis very good. The ability to shift the histogram and see when it matches is really great.

- Would it be possible for me to add French ? (Would it be accepted or is it against some policy?)

Also why does JCryptool re-analyze an reference text instead of embedding the stats for each language?

Regards
Bruno

Dominik Schadow

Mar 20, 2018, 2:28:00 PM3/20/18
to JCrypTool Developers
Hi Bruno,

It is possible to add French if someone provides that language file and translates the plug-in. We are open to translations, but it is a requirement that there are translations available for more than one plug-in (ideally for all of them).

About your second language: I'll make sure that the plug-in developer receives it and will answer it here.

Regards, Dominik

Bruno Vernay

Mar 20, 2018, 3:56:41 PM3/20/18
to jcryptool-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your answer
I had hope that we could just add a language to analyse independently of the interface language.
But if I understand correctly, the policy is to translate the plugin too and all major plugins.  In this case, it is a lot more work than just providing a french text plus a few buttons translation and some tests.
Am I right ? or did I misunderstand something ?

Regards
Bruno

Message has been deleted

Dominik Schadow

Mar 21, 2018, 4:10:27 PM3/21/18
to JCrypTool Developers
Hi Bruno,

Adding a french text sample wouldn't be that hard and would technically not require a fully translated French JCrypTool. The question is how many users would use it. Our experience is that languages are only useful with a fully translated tool. However I can see the point that one wants to analyse a French text even in an English tool. So if you can provide a sample text we can use freely I'll open a feature request and we'll see how fast we can add it.

Regards, Dominik
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to jcryptool-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Bruno Vernay

Mar 27, 2018, 11:07:47 AM3/27/18
to jcryptool-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot.
I did no test :-)
(I had to butcher the text to reduce its size, and it is still bigger than the English and German texts.)

I am looking forward to test when you release a version !

Regards
Bruno

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 9:51 AM simlei <simo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bruno,

thanks for the compliment regarding the substitution analysis :)
Well, as you noted, there are some things that could be improved. Indeed, predefined statistics in the context do not mean that the statistical distributions themselves have been calculated already. They are calculated each time an analysis is queried. Perhaps, to clarify what is being done, let me point out a few things:

 - the distribution of 1- 2- and triplets depend on the alphabet selected, e.g. if you choose to only analyze for lower-case characters by choosing an according alphabet, the doublet "Cr" from "JCrypTool" would not appear. It would be possible to precalculate and store statistics for a reference text for the biggest-possible alphabet there is and marginalize the distribution based on the alphabet later, but that was too convuluted a concept at that time. Note also, that the largest-possible alphabet would include every character from the UTF-8 character set, which is quite large.
 - German for the one purpose is not German for another purpose, as is with any other language. "The murders in the rue morgue" is a short story written in perhaps dated English. The statistics for a football match transcription may look entirely different, containing much more digits, as would cooking recipes etc. Therefore, the concept of "language to analyze" was conveniently tacked onto a reference text which represents the "true" reference in the context of the analysis. Effectively, the actually selected reference text IS the language that is analyzed.

This actually makes it easier not harder, to implement a french analysis!

All that is needed to make the substitution analysis "understand french" is to
1) put a french reference text in the plugin's folder "refTexts" - https://github.com/jcryptool/crypto/tree/develop/org.jcryptool.analysis.substitution/refTexts

For minimum success, all that is needed to put these two lines there:
String dumas = "refTexts/Le_Comte_de_Monte-Cristo.txt"; //$NON-NLS-1$
predefinedTextFiles.put(new Info("Le Comte de Monte-Cristo (Dumas)", "French"), dumas);

and it would already work.

Then, you could translate the String "french" as seen with the other reference texts, by invoking the eclipse tool for internationalization (Right cick in the source code, -> "Source" -> "Externalize Strings"), then check the files

for completeness of that translation. It's not perfectly necessary to do that right away yourself, we don't shun contributions if they are not perfectly translated ;)

I hope that clears up the important parts.

simlei

Mar 27, 2018, 4:16:46 PM3/27/18
to JCrypTool Developers
Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the PR :)
We release weekly builds, so you shoud be able to see your changes there in a few days: https://github.com/jcryptool/core/releases

May I ask if you'd consider to contribute translations into French for JCT?

Best regards and have a nice week,
Simon
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to jcryptool-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Bruno Vernay

Apr 3, 2018, 5:33:30 AM4/3/18
to jcryptool-...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I checked the weekly build, it works.
But I realized that I worked on the Substitution Analysis, when in fact I was mostly interested in the Frequency analysis ...
So I will work on the Frequency Analysis plugin now.

Regards
Bruno

simlei

Apr 3, 2018, 1:11:42 PM4/3/18
to JCrypTool Developers
Hi Bruno,

In case you want to try out your changes immediately, you may be interested in the "Getting started as a Developer" section in the JCT wiki: https://github.com/jcryptool/core/wiki/Getting-started-as-a-JCrypTool-Developer
Basically, it just takes to
 - setup Eclipse (I can recommend the Eclipse Oomph installer, choose the RCP/RAP development edition!)
 - clone https://github.com/jcryptool/core and https://github.com/jcryptool/crypto in your Eclipse workspace
 - set the workspace encoding to UTF-8 if you are on Windows
 - apply the target platform to the workspace by opening https://github.com/jcryptool/core/blob/develop/org.jcryptool.target/org.jcryptool.target.target in Eclipse and clicking the appropriate button
 - Opening https://github.com/jcryptool/core/blob/develop/org.jcryptool.product/jcryptool.product and clicking the Run Eclipse Application button.
Thereafter, you can start JCT with a click on the green run button in the toolbar to test any changes immediately.

If you encounter any problems, feel free to write here, or chat with us directly at the JCT gitter channel: https://gitter.im/dschadow/jcryptool

Cheers
Simon
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to jcryptool-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.