Thoughts on adding JClouds support for S3 style authentication through Openstack Keystone?

Jasdeep

Apr 11, 2013, 9:45:23 PM4/11/13
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
I was discussing this earlier with Adrian, but I realize this may be a better way to get input than spamming him in IRC:

The OpenStack Swift project allows users to actually use the Amazon S3 API to interface with the Swift backend through some middleware modules in both the Swift and Keystone projects. The Keystone side of this allows S3-style signature authentication. I was using JClouds for Keystone authentication and realized I needed the S3 auth support, so I went ahead and added it to the JClouds build for my project.

I have a branch here for this: https://github.com/jasdeep-hundal/jclouds/compare/master...keystoneS3
It needs test cases still and probably a bit of cleanup work.

I'd be interested in finishing out the work and pushing it up, but I'd like some input on whether it's a good idea to add to the project. It's solved a problem for me, but there are reasons to not have it in JClouds:
- Not sure how many folks would actually use this
- The S3 authentication middleware has to be explicitly enabled in Keystone
- The S3 authentication middleware isn't part of the official API. There's unfortunately no real documentation about it; the actual interface kinda has to be reverse engineered from here: https://github.com/openstack/keystone/tree/master/keystone/contrib/s3

Would definitely appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Jasdeep