Un-Async labs

Adrian Cole

Apr 24, 2013, 10:33:02 AM4/24/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks.

There are still a lot of labs providers who are not yet un-Asynced.  If you have some extra time, the process is easy and would help have some consistency in our final non-ASF major release.

Iotw, looking for some volunteers!
-A

Jeremy Whitlock

Apr 24, 2013, 10:35:23 AM4/24/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
CloudWatch is due for a refactoring to bring its code/style/approach up to speed with more recent jclouds conventions.  I'll be un-Asyncing it during the process.

Take care,

Jeremy Whitlock <jcsco...@gmail.com>
Twitter: whitlockjc

Ignasi

Apr 24, 2013, 11:36:37 AM4/24/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
I'm un-asynching chef and hope to have it today or tomorrow.
The next one I'll work on is Abiquo, but there are many apis and strategies, and I don't know if I'll be able to make it for 1.6.0.

Adrian Cole

Apr 24, 2013, 11:45:23 AM4/24/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
I'll take on the aws apis in labs: elb, iam, rds

Ignasi

Apr 26, 2013, 3:24:43 AM4/26/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit confused about what is part of 1.6.0 and part of 1.7 (or whatever release name jclouds has once inside ASF).

I thought that 1.6.0 would have async stuff deprecated (but still existing) to allow users to migrate smoothly: one version deprecates async stuff, next version removes it. But after reading this thread and looking at the 1.6.x commit history in labs, I've seen that there are several providers that have already removed the async classes (which may be quite a big change between two RC versions).

I just removed async apis from Chef, but I don't know if I should cherry-pick the changes into 1.6.x (I'm just asking to do it right).

Is async stuff removal going to be part of 1.6.0?

Ignasi

Adrian Cole

Apr 26, 2013, 10:07:06 AM4/26/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ignasi.

Anything in labs should be wholesale un-asynced, as labs is by definition work in progress.  Apis outside labs can be unasynced for 3 reasons: this api wasn't in jclouds 1.5, this api wasn't in widespread use in 1.5, this api was completely refactored in 1.6.

If none of these cases apply, it would be a hard decision to un-async it immediately.  Whoever does would need to own up to whatever complaints any users might have wrt compatibility; a concern directly relating to use of the very unpopular Async api, but a concern nonetheless.

Does this help?
-A

Ignasi

Apr 26, 2013, 11:28:05 AM4/26/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it makes total sense :)

Regarding Chef, it existed in 1.5, it was not completely refactored, and I don't think it is in widespread use.
So, I'm OK to cherry-pick the unasync changes into 1.6.x if preferred.

Votes?

Adrian Cole

Apr 26, 2013, 12:05:02 PM4/26/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com