Q&A Minutes 9-22-10

1 view

Brad Johnson

Sep 24, 2010, 12:33:24 PM9/24/10
to jccc-queers...@googlegroups.com
Once again I shout a hello to you all! For those of you who missed out this week I'm sorry to report you missed out on some colorfully delicious cake n' gummy sweets. Mmmm...gummies ^_^ I'd also like to say that we're still standing strong with attendance with 25 members, which is fantastico. For those of you who couldn't attend, we still have plenty of things for you all...just not cake...and candy...

Our ice breaker this week wasn't an activity but more so something serious. Many of you probably know already but the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy repeal didn't make the required 60 votes to be processed. Here is one of many possible articles.

http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/120029-dadtnosenate-deals-blow-to-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal

If you take a look at the numbers it wasn't very far off from passing and by how it seems, we are far from defeated.

Following the article I took the stand *Gasp!* and presented my little project. Its not much but I've created a little PowerPoint for our Speak Out panels. You can find the file on the Google groups int he "Files" section. If there is anything about it you'd like to comment on or suggest for change/improvement please send me an email. Yay colors!

Our next order of business was the Potluck, which we had our final meeting on. People's attendance and foods were confirmed and little direction cards were handed out (They were so colorful n' coolz =D). I know a number of you have already contacted me about this but for the rest of you all, if you would like to attend, please contact me for directions and information.

Man there are a lot of different topics *sighs*

Following THAT we also had a discusson on whether or not we'd like to have a second drag show this year; however, rather than have it on campus we would host it somewhere else as a possible fundraiser. By how it sounded we would have sufficient performers and a decent amount of willing participants. There was also talk of perhaps combining this event with KU's drag show event in one giant rainbow-crazed-insane-glittery madness event. Atm we are working on sending our little diplomats (ha!) to KU to sit in on a meeting and discuss this new idea.

And finally....the Q&A meeting ended concluded with an interesting new video article about Oklahoma's first Transgender canidate to run for state legislature. I don't know about all of you but I find these conservative candidate rather amusing =P

http://www.youtube.com/user/benpatrickjohnson

That concludes this weeks minutes, sorry for the later than usual posting. Bye y'all! =D

Miguel Morales

Sep 24, 2010, 12:38:01 PM9/24/10
to jccc-queers...@googlegroups.com
You guys didn't happen to talk about the opportunity to present a workshop at the Creating Change conference did you?

---
Miguel M. Morales
Diversity Fellow, Johnson County Community College
(913) 735-4048
http://MiguelMorales.net

"In your temporary failure there is no evidence that you may not yet be a better scholar, and a more successful man in the great struggle of life, than many others, who have entered college more easily." - Abraham Lincoln, 1860

Brad Johnson

Sep 24, 2010, 12:49:29 PM9/24/10
to jccc-queers...@googlegroups.com
We didn't, we were kept rather busy with what we had. It should make it to the meetings within the next meeting or two when we have less things going on.

Miguel Morales

Pips

Sep 24, 2010, 1:42:32 PM9/24/10
to jccc-queers...@googlegroups.com
Oh crud... We'll I'll get on that. It's on the agenda for next Wednesday.

Sent: Fri, September 24, 2010 12:33:47 PM