open associated media plugin

Gmail PK

Sep 12, 2013, 6:18:05 AM9/12/13
to jBrout ML
Hi,

Someone (don't remember who) wrote an "open associated media plugin" and
sent it via the ML.
Could it be merge in the jBrout code ?

--
,,,
( �> enn...@laposte.net
>||<
__init__.py

Matěj Cepl

Sep 12, 2013, 8:33:49 AM9/12/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
On 09/12/2013 12:18 PM, Gmail PK wrote:
> Someone (don't remember who) wrote an "open associated media plugin" and
> sent it via the ML.
> Could it be merge in the jBrout code ?

Would you be so kind, create some documentation for it, and create a
proper merge request to my repo (https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout) or
send a proper patch to this list? I am not sure what does it do and I
think we should stop adding more undocumented blobs of unclear code to
the codebase (I am not talking about unittests yet, but I hope we can
get there as well someday).

Thank you,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they
can bribe the people with their own money.
-- based on a statement of Alexander Fraser Tytler

signature.asc

Francois Chartier

Sep 12, 2013, 11:10:58 AM9/12/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com

I did that patch. I'll see if I can do that this weekend. What kind of documentation do you suggest? I guess I'll need a glorious account.

Francois

Francois Chartier

Sep 15, 2013, 8:18:37 AM9/15/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how to submit a "merge request". I never used an online git repository (I only work on repos on LAN and shares). Do I need a gitorious account ?

Anyway, here is the patch against your repo.

As for documentation, I'm not too sure, but I can a few notes: For this plugin, I use the notion of associated videos, meaning that if a video has a JPEG thumbnail with the same name (except the extension), then the video is associated with this thumbnail. It does not enable to move/rename videos using this thumbnail, but at least, one can tag/date/comment/search the thumbnail, and from the thumbnail, open the videos.

At one time, I imagined jbrout could work with groups of pics and other files (having several versions of a file, maybe, and a video or a sound...) using the same name and different extensions. Never went further than an idea, but this plugin enables at list to track my cameras videos. It might need a little more doc indeed, as I recall I once explained what it did. Maybe it could use some configuration too.

Best regards,
François

PS: here is a copy of my previous email on the subject to ennoia:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to know that someone find it useful. But I guess the notion of "associated video" was only clear in my head :)
I should add some explanations in the doc.

As jbrout only manages photos so far, and pictures enable to include metadata, dates, comments, tags... I find it useful to manage videos through their thumbnails. Of course, it doesn't enable to move, rename, etc. videos from jbrout interface, since only the thumbnail would be moved (but I plan to try to do something about it when I have some time).

I also have a script to create thumbnails using ffmpeg and exiv2 as you do. I can post it too if someone is interested, but some parts are a bit specific to my file tree.

I could add "parole" (never heard of it, though), but I guess you did it already. I have no idea about how to make it easy to choose the video player, or about a default player... if yo do...

I did not think about handling sound, but... why not :)

2013/9/12 Francois Chartier <chartier...@gmail.com>
patch_fcr_openvideos.diff

Francois Chartier

Sep 15, 2013, 12:00:24 PM9/15/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Ooops... previous patch also included another plugin. So here is just the plugin to add in plugins

François

2013/9/15 Francois Chartier <chartier...@gmail.com>
openVideos.zip

Matěj Cepl

Sep 15, 2013, 1:34:27 PM9/15/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
On 09/15/2013 02:18 PM, Francois Chartier wrote:
> I don't know how to submit a "merge request". I never used an online git
> repository (I only work on repos on LAN and shares). Do I need a
> gitorious account ?

Either that or git request-pull (see its man page for more info; pull
requests were not invented by github and it is not necessary to use that
proprietary data sink to create one), but it is not important, you can
use patch sent here as well.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

Of course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings,
and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
--John Huston in "Chinatown."

signature.asc

Matěj Cepl

Sep 15, 2013, 7:02:09 PM9/15/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
On 09/15/2013 06:00 PM, Francois Chartier wrote:
> Ooops... previous patch also included another plugin. So here is just
> the plugin to add in plugins

Just to note that the other plugin (jbrout/jbrout/plugins/slideshow)
does absolutely nothing for me (as included on
https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout/source/associated_media).

For openVideos I have no files following the expect name.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

Economics is the only discipline where two people can win a Nobel
Prize for saying exactly the opposite thing!
-- Eamonn Butler of Adam Smith Institute
on Nobel Prize awards for year 2001

signature.asc

Gmail PK

Sep 16, 2013, 1:54:33 AM9/16/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/09/2013 01:02, Matěj Cepl a écrit :
> On 09/15/2013 06:00 PM, Francois Chartier wrote:
>> Ooops... previous patch also included another plugin. So here is just
>> the plugin to add in plugins
>
> Just to note that the other plugin (jbrout/jbrout/plugins/slideshow)
> does absolutely nothing for me (as included on
> https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout/source/associated_media).
>
> For openVideos I have no files following the expect name.
Well, I usually create them with a right click executing :

#!/bin/bash

VIDEO=$1
THUMB=`echo $1 | cut -d"." -f1 | sed s/$/.jpg/`
FILI=/home/user/video.png

# Creation
ffmpeg -itsoffset -4 -i $VIDEO -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f
rawvideo -s 320x180 $THUMB
# Adding a watermark
composite -gravity center $FILI $THUMB $THUMB
# creating the internal thumb
jhead -rgt $THUMB
# Create minimal exif header
jhead -mkexif $THUMB
# removing auto-comment
jhead -dc $THUMB
# adding exif data to avoid red band in jBrout
exiv2 -M "add Exif.Image.Make Ascii VideoThumbnail" $THUMB

Francois Chartier

Sep 16, 2013, 2:40:36 AM9/16/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I know, the other plugin is incomplete (it lacks the GUI), and as yet unfinished. Since my repo was a personal git-svn and I didn't intend to push, I may have been careless in my commits. To create the patch I made a branch, cherry-picked my two commits and diffed with your master without verification.

As for the slideshow plugin, i intended it to be an internal or external slideshow, but thought since that if I wanted it to be internal, i should rather just add some key controls to jbrout full view. So... Not ready for sharing yet :)

Matěj Cepl

Sep 27, 2013, 7:07:02 PM9/27/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
On 16/09/13 01:02, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Just to note that the other plugin (jbrout/jbrout/plugins/slideshow)
> does absolutely nothing for me (as included on
> https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout/source/associated_media).
>
> For openVideos I have no files following the expect name.

I guess committing branch
https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout/source/associated_media: won't make
jBrout any better than it was before, so I don't see any harm done to
jBrout by doing so.

Speak Before The Next Friday Or Forever Hold Your Peace (aside from
possible bugs, if actually breaks)

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

We can tell our level of faith in what God wants to do for us by
our level of enthusiasm for what we want God to do for other.
-- Dave Schmelzer

signature.asc

Matěj Cepl

Oct 16, 2013, 8:51:00 AM10/16/13
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
On 28/09/13 01:07, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> I guess committing branch
> https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout/source/associated_media: won't make
> jBrout any better than it was before, so I don't see any harm done to
> jBrout by doing so.
>
> Speak Before The Next Friday Or Forever Hold Your Peace (aside from
> possible bugs, if actually breaks)

Happened in r363 and r364, except I have somehow managed to commit it
with a wrong commit message. So the right one is here:

Add openVideos plugin

For this plugin, I use the notion of associated videos, meaning
that if a video has a JPEG thumbnail with the same name (except the
extension), then the video is associated with this thumbnail. It
does not enable to move/rename videos using this thumbnail, but at
least, one can tag/date/comment/search the thumbnail, and from the
thumbnail, open the videos.

At one time, I imagined jbrout could work with groups of pics and
other files (having several versions of a file, maybe, and a video
or a sound...) using the same name and different extensions. Never
went further than an idea, but this plugin enables at list to track
my cameras videos. It might need a little more doc indeed, as I
recall I once explained what it did. Maybe it could use some
configuration too.

I have also eliminated attribution of the commit to Francois Chartier
<chartier...@gmail.com>. I am sorry.

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
--Ashleigh Brilliant

signature.asc