Don't you want to switch?

matej

Jul 16, 2011, 5:22:44 AM7/16/11
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

apparently Code Google finally has seen The Light and they support Git now (http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=2454#c43 and http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/GitFAQ). Don't you want to switch to the 21st century?

Also while browsing through I found out, there are http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/CodeReviews now. That could be lovely to use. Does it work for jbrout now? Would you make me a member of the project then?

Thanks,

Matěj

Rob Wallace

Jul 17, 2011, 6:51:46 AM7/17/11
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Switching seems like a good idea to me, I use git-svn locally.

Code reviews are available in the jBrout project.

> --

Rob Wallace
emai...@wallace.gen.nz <rob.w...@wallace.gen.nz>Home+64 (4) 972 5571
Mobile+64 (21) 762 925Address28 Hereford Street
Wellington 6012
New Zealand

The difference between theory and practice in practice is bigger than
the difference between theory and practice in theory.

mana...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2011, 11:55:10 AM7/20/11
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Do u really want to migrate from SVN to GIT on "google code" (is it possible ?))
Someone has already done that ? someone want to manage this ?

ps : I'm not against GIT ...

matej

Jul 20, 2011, 12:34:46 PM7/20/11
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Dne středa, 20. července 2011 17:55:10 UTC+2 manatlan napsal(a):
Do u really want to migrate from SVN to GIT on "google code" (is it possible ?))

I am not fanatically for it (see below for what I do anyway, so I have been using git for a long time already), but I think that git is just way better than svn.

The only alternative seems to be gitorious.org or github.com ... however, their only advantage seems to me to be that they were providing git repos. Google Code issue tracker and the rest seems to me better than whatever github has.

Alternative for me is that I will continue to use my own git-svn mirror, which worked for me well.

Someone has already done that ? someone want to manage this ?

I have git repository of jbrout at https://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout

You can clone it by running

git clone git://gitorious.org/jbrout/jbrout.git

and push it to Google Code repository (how to create it to the already existing project, I have no idea)

If you want to recreate git repository yourself just run

git svn clone -s http://jbrout.googlecode.com/svn

(but it takes couple of hours to run).

Best,

Matěj

mcepl

Sep 22, 2011, 8:13:05 AM9/22/11
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Just to note that there is now official page on switching https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ConvertingSvnToGit

Matěj Cepl

Aug 31, 2014, 3:49:27 PM8/31/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com, Lentz, Marc
Dne 20/07/11 v 17:55 mana...@gmail.com napsal(a):
> Do u really want to migrate from SVN to GIT on "google code" (is it
> possible ?))
> Someone has already done that ? someone want to manage this ?
>
> ps : I'm not against GIT ...

Given that I am probably the last surviving person on the face of the
Earth having any interest in jbrout now, could ask you, Marc, for the
enough administrative privilegis to make SVN->Git conversion, please? I
really don't want to fork jbrout and move somewhere else, but I don't
want to live with SVN (even via git-svn) anymore.

https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ConvertingSvnToGit

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
Therefore, a man without a woman is like a bicycle without
a fish.

Gmail PK

Sep 1, 2014, 4:21:07 AM9/1/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Le 31/08/2014 21:49, Matěj Cepl a écrit :
> Dne 20/07/11 v 17:55 mana...@gmail.com napsal(a):
>> Do u really want to migrate from SVN to GIT on "google code" (is it
>> possible ?))
>> Someone has already done that ? someone want to manage this ?
>>
>> ps : I'm not against GIT ...
>
> Given that I am probably the last surviving person on the face of the
> Earth having any interest in jbrout now,

No, you're not. I've recently search for an alternative to jBrout but
haven't found better despite his (very) slow development.
I'm still packaging jBrout for Archlinux (and have work to do on :-( )

--
,,,
( °> enn...@laposte.net
>||< http://linuxcounter.net/

Rob Wallace

Sep 1, 2014, 10:17:00 PM9/1/14
to Jbrout Mailing List
I currently use git-svn to have it in git locally, but it would be great to work directly in git (that is when I get a chance to work on jBrout).

Matěj Cepl

Sep 2, 2014, 1:22:22 AM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Dne 02/09/14 v 04:16 Rob Wallace napsal(a):
> I currently use git-svn to have it in git locally, but it would be great
> to work directly in git (that is when I get a chance to work on jBrout).

OK, so let's declare https://github.com/mcepl/jbrout as TEMPORARY fork
of jBrout before matalan manages to catch up with his email so we are
not waiting on him. Please, keep using the Google Code for issue tracking.

Pull requests especially to the branch
https://github.com/mcepl/jbrout/tree/GObject-215 (port to GObject both
for GExiv2 and whole Gtk3 stuff) are very welcome, because I see it as
essential for the very survival of the program.

Let's make jbrout alive again!

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

"Push to test." (click) "Release to detonate..."
-- from a bugzilla quip list

mana...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 1:29:35 AM9/2/14
to jBrout

I'm here, i'm here ...
I'm afraid of the work ... To migrate.
But, yes, we can

Francois Chartier

Sep 2, 2014, 3:14:23 AM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com

Same here: using git-svn locally too, but not very often these days... Still using jbrout regularly, though.

mana...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 3:43:44 AM9/2/14
to jBrout
ok ... ok ...
I start the process ...
stay tuned

"Oui, oui."
                -- Shakespeare (Richard III, Acte I, Scène IV)

Francois Chartier

Sep 2, 2014, 4:00:54 AM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com

In case you need help with git, just ask. Some concepts differ from svn (it's distributed, mainly) but you'll see how great it is to be able to create, review, rework commits before pushing them :)

mana...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 4:04:56 AM9/2/14
to jBrout
Thanks francois ...
I've used git in the past (got some repos on github ;-)
But, each time I use it, I need to google for the basic commands ;-)

"Oui, oui."
                -- Shakespeare (Richard III, Acte I, Scène IV)

mana...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 4:21:18 AM9/2/14
to jBrout
It should be fully done ...

Sources & wiki are in GIT ... (with full history)

Is ok ?

"Oui, oui."
                -- Shakespeare (Richard III, Acte I, Scène IV)

mcepl

Sep 2, 2014, 8:16:57 AM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Dne úterý, 2. září 2014 10:21:18 UTC+2 manatlan napsal(a):
It should be fully done ...

Sources & wiki are in GIT ... (with full history)

Is ok ?

Yes, it is!!! THANK YOU!!!

My clone is https://code.google.com/r/matejcepl-jbrout/ ... I would
welcome any pull requests (or however it is called in the Google Code
lingo) especially for
https://code.google.com/r/matejcepl-jbrout/source/browse?name=GObject-215

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

May you come to the attention of those in authority.
May you find what you are looking for.
May you live in interesting times

-- claimed to be a Chinese proverb, but its origin is disputed first documented use Frederic R. Coudert, Proceedings of the Academy of Political Science, 1939

Matěj Cepl

Sep 2, 2014, 3:33:27 PM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Dne 02/09/14 v 10:04 mana...@gmail.com napsal(a):
> Thanks francois ...
> I've used git in the past (got some repos on github ;-)
> But, each time I use it, I need to google for the basic commands ;-)

Then sooner you get off SVN addiction, better ;).

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz

Besides, the determined Real Programmer can write Fortran
programs in any language.
-- Ed Post, Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal

Matěj Cepl

Sep 2, 2014, 3:33:27 PM9/2/14
to jbr...@googlegroups.com