jbrout3 = jbrout/python3 ... my attempt ;-)

manatlan

Dec 12, 2018, 5:31:51 PM12/12/18
to jBrout
Hi everybody ...

I'm the original creator of jbrout ...
I don't use it since a long time, and I don't maintain it since the same time (but still have 35000 pictures in)
But I can't let it die, when python2 will die.

So I decided to give it a new life, using modern things (python3, websockets, vuejs, cef, ...)
I can't image to take the time to port the gtk part, because I will not use it, and I don't need gtk anymore (web dev inside)

For now, it doesn't replace the good old one, but it shows you that it could be easily possible :

I will don't touch the apis. It's all the frontend which will recoded using vuejs+vuex+sockets.
It uses another py3/module of mine : wuy (https://github.com/manatlan/wuy). And I want to proove that wuy can handle this kind of app.

The downside : All current plugins will die, except if ported (but currently there is no plugin-system ;-) )
But some new things could happens (headless mode (use a browser!), themes/styles, etc ...)

Currently, I can't tell you that I will continue 100% on that, perhaps I will be demotivate ... but currently I'm on.
If I'm not here; I want to know if the community is agree with that kind of future for jbrout ? (sure, it's better than nothing, and at least : the jbrout api will be ready for py3)

BTW, Are there any fluent js/vuejs coders which could help on front part ? ;-)

Andreas

Dec 14, 2018, 2:23:04 AM12/14/18
to jBrout
Hi manatlan,
that's great to hear! I use jbrout since a long time and regularly as it fullfills exactly my demands.

Unfortunately I'm not at all a coder but if you need help with testing I would be glad to do that. (system: OpenSuSE tumbleweed)

Andreas

Tonus

Dec 16, 2018, 6:24:32 AM12/16/18
to jBrout
Great to hear manatlan!

Message has been deleted

Francois Chartier

Mar 3, 2019, 3:12:27 PM3/3/19
to jbr...@googlegroups.com
Yup!

You need to install pip (python package manager). Since it's python3, the package should be python3-pip on a debian based system.

About python3, Matej started to work on a port to gobject a while ago but I did not find time to help, I don't know if he managed to get it to work.

Francois

Le dim. 3 mars 2019 à 20:58, Franz <frh...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hey Manatlan!

Great news :)

I tried to install it with the instructions here : https://github.com/manatlan/jbrout3

When I try the "python3 -m install -r requirements.txt"

I get a "/usr/bin/python3: No module named pip"

I'm on a Mint 19.1 with Chromium installed.

Any idea?