Automated process flow testing for each process in JBPM Business-central

Maria Prabudass

Dec 27, 2023, 1:49:47 AM12/27/23
to jBPM Development
Can we conduct automated process flow testing for each process in JBPM Businesscentral, both for "direct flow" and for "processes that need input to progress" without manual intervention?

Are there any available options for this? How to proceed?

Richard Bourner

Jan 24, 2024, 9:39:44 AMJan 24
to jBPM Development
You can use the jBPM Java API to do it.  This is typically done as part of unit and non-regression testing and can be achieved for both straight-through processes and long-live processes (for instance with async tasks).

Maria Prabudass

Jan 25, 2024, 10:34:13 PMJan 25
to Richard Bourner, jBPM Development
Thank You Richard. Kindly share the jBPM JAVA API details you mentioned in your email for my reference.

Regards,
Maria Prabhudoss

Richard Bourner

Jan 26, 2024, 1:52:08 AMJan 26
to jBPM Development
Assuming you are using jBPM 7.x, you can find plenty of examples of unit tests in the Community repo [1].
Also, if you do not want to use the Java APIs to do your testing, you can use the REST APIs but it requires to deploy your projects/processes first.
For both cases, you would not do the testing within Business Central but with an external tool (IDE for Java, Postman or script for REST, etc.).

Maria Prabudass

Jan 30, 2024, 10:59:17 AMJan 30
to Richard Bourner, jBPM Development
Hi Richard,

Could you please provide insights into whether "Business Process Simulation" can help in achieving automated process flows?

Regards,
Maria Prabhudoss

Richard Bourner

Jan 30, 2024, 2:11:25 PMJan 30
to jBPM Development
I believe you are talking about a feature of the old legacy designer.  I do not think it exists with the Stunner version.
But as a general practice, it is probably not best to depend on Business Central to do automated tests, not only for CI/CD integration reasons, but also because of the future of Business Central.