Global Conference 2018 – IJB, we need your opinions!

CISV International Jr. Representatives

Oct 12, 2014, 4:48:49 PM10/12/14
Hello, Junior Branch World!

Today, we'd like to consult you – as individual JBers and/or representatives of your chapter and National Association – on a question CISV will be deciding on at the end of the month. As some of you may know, International Junior Branch (IJB), through the International Junior Representatives (IJRs), has two votes among the members of CISV International (all voting "CISV countries").

The Global Conference of CISV International will be held for the first time from 04.-09. August 2015 in Norway, alongside the International Junior Branch Conference (IJBC). There currently is a proposal to hold the Global Conference in 2018 and onwards in the month of September. The exact wording on the ballot is as follows:

We would like the Global Conference to be held in September from 2018 onwards:
□ Yes
□ No, we would like the Global Conference to held in August
□ Abstain

We would like to ask you for two things, if you have the time – (1) which of the three options would you choose? and (2) what are your reasons for and/or against moving Global Conference to September or keeping it in August?

Some context: In 2015, IJBC will be held in parallel to Global Conference (FAQ infopack forthcoming). For 2018, no such decision has been made yet.

You can send your answers and opinions to i...@cisv.org, where they we'll handle them confidentially. We have also opened this discussion up on Facebook, where you can join in on the debate. Our two votes are due on October 30th. We're looking forward to hearing your opinions and input!

Thanks from Columbus and Frankfurt,

Hana & Anjo

--
Hana Strickland & Anjo Peez-Zvetina
International Junior Representatives – CISV International

CISV International Jr. Representatives

Oct 13, 2014, 5:18:24 AM10/13/14
Hello again everyone,

Thank you for your initial thoughts. As some of you requested, here are the explanatory notes from the Governing Board of CISV International.

---
Change of month for the Global Conference (2018 onward)

At the last Annual International Meeting in 2013, our Members approved that the new Global Conference should be held in August every three years. However, the Conference and Events Committee believes that moving future Global Conferences (2018 onward) to September would bring a considerable reduction in cost – to the organization and to individuals. August is a peak holiday period and the costs of venues and travel are high; these reduce considerably in September. The savings to be made by moving the Global Conference from August to September are likely to be considerable, with prices typically lower outside of the ‘peak season’. The Committee believes that this saving outweighs the benefits of holding the Global Conference during a traditional holiday month for much of the world. We support the desire of the Committee to keep costs down for this important event. However, we know that a change of date can make a big difference in terms of participation. We feel that you know best when people are more likely to be available and whether you feel that the benefits of cost savings outweigh any inconvenience and so would like your guidance.

(...) Please send all your votes by midnight UK time, 31 October 2014. (...) Meanwhile, you can read the minutes of our meetings and a summary of our discussions and decisions this year.

With our very best wishes,

Leah, Juanca, Max, Flo, Soli, Bjørn, Luis, Daniel, David and Gaby (Governing Board)
---

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Hana & Anjo