Jedi fails to build a sample Project.

Andrés Musetti

Mar 15, 2012, 12:49:43 PM3/15/12
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm new to Jazz & Jedi, and after building Jedi, I tryed to build and run a default sample project, but Jedi complains:

*** ERROR IN jazz:raise-system-error, "../../../source/jazz-scheme/jedi/jazz/kernel/runtime/unit.scm"@1
44.5 -- Unable to find product: Sample

These are the steps for reproducing the error:

1) Build & run Jedi
2) Create a new project (Jazz/Application/Standard)
3) Try to run the project (Project/Run), and it should fail.

Is there any intermediary step before creating/building/running a project that I am missing?

Thanks!

Guillaume Cartier

Mar 16, 2012, 8:24:36 AM3/16/12
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, andres....@gmail.com
Hi Andrés,

I tried creating and launching a Jazz/Application/Standard project on Windows and Ubuntu and both worked fine. Do you have the latest code? I fixed many problems with projects a couple weeks ago...

Guillaume

Andrés Musetti

Mar 16, 2012, 2:01:21 PM3/16/12
to Jazz Scheme
On 16 mar, 09:24, Guillaume Cartier <gcart...@jazzscheme.org> wrote:
> Hi Andrés,

Hi Guillaume!

> I tried creating and launching a Jazz/Application/Standard project on
> Windows and Ubuntu and both worked fine.

I'm running ArchLinux i686. I don't know if that's at all relevant.

> Do you have the latest code? I
> fixed many problems with projects a couple weeks ago...

I came across Jedi a couple of days ago, so I probably had the latest
code.
To be sure though, I pulled/built/retry everything from scratch, and
the error still pops up.

Here's the error with the latest code (pulled from Github a couple of
hours ago).

$ bin/jedi
; converting settings...
; copying /home/andres/.jedi/...
; settings converted to version 2.5.1
*** ERROR IN jazz:raise-system-error, "../../../source/jazz-scheme/
jedi/jazz/kernel/runtime/unit.scm"@1
44.5 -- Unable to find product: Sample

Note that I'm running Jedi from the root of the source tree, and that
I deleted the previous ~/.jedi/ and ~/.jazz/ completely.

Thanks for the reply!

Andrés.

Guillaume Cartier

Mar 16, 2012, 6:47:17 PM3/16/12
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, andres....@gmail.com
Hi again Andrés,

Here are some things you can do that will greatly help me in debugging this or any Jazz related problem (I wanted to explain those in my last reply but was sure it was just your Jazz not being up-to-date :) :

1) When you get an error that ends up in the Gambit REPL, do a

> ,be

this will give me a full stack backtrace with variables.

2) In your Jedi directory, do a

% ./jam info

this will give me the exact commits that your Jedi and Jazz are on.

3) Important info

- OS

4) Other info that is probably not relevant but might be

- GCC version
- Git version
- A pwd in your Jedi directory (at some point Jazz was fragile to directory names containing spaces)

We'll figure this out!

Guillaume

Andrés Musetti

Mar 19, 2012, 3:46:41 PM3/19/12
to Jazz Scheme
Hi Guillaume!

Sorry for the late response.

Here you will find the information you requested: http://pastebin.com/yKfhatv5

If you need any more data, just ask.

Andrés.

On 16 mar, 19:47, Guillaume Cartier <gcart...@jazzscheme.org> wrote:
> Hi again Andrés,
>
> Here are some things you can do that will greatly help me in debugging this
> or any Jazz related problem (I wanted to explain those in my last reply but
> was sure it was just your Jazz not being up-to-date :) :
>
> 1) When you get an error that ends up in the Gambit REPL, do a
>
> > ,be

> this will give me a full stack backtrace with variables.
>
> 2) In your Jedi directory, do a
>
> % ./jam info
>
> this will give me the exact commits that your Jedi and Jazz are on.
>
> 3) Important info
>
> - OS
>
> 4) Other info that is probably not relevant but might be
>
> - GCC version
> - Git version
> - A pwd in your Jedi directory (at some point Jazz was fragile to directory
> names containing spaces)
>
> We'll figure this out!
>
> Guillaume

Guillaume Cartier

Mar 19, 2012, 8:00:50 PM3/19/12
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, andres....@gmail.com
The ,be did the trick!

With it, figuring out and reproducing your problem was easy. The problem wasn't happening on my machine because of some partial work I had started some time ago.

It is now fixed. Thanks for helping fix that!

Note that because the fix is in the .jedi templates, you will need to delete the ~/.jedi/ directory before launching Jedi.

PS: Using Project/Run is perfectly fine but you probably want to use Project/Debug which will connect the remote C4 process with the Jedi debugger. You will then have access to many debugging tools, for example:
- A REPL connected to your remote Sample process. You will find it in the Consoles palette.
- Object inspectors. For an example, try evaluating (inspect (get-application)) in your Sample's REPL.
- Process viewer with frames and variables, exceptions, ... Try generating an exception by evaluating (append 1 2) in your Sample's REPL and then go to the Debugger workspace (the icon that turned red to inform you of the exception) . Will then have access to the various debugger palettes at the top.

Have fun!

Guillaume

Andrés Musetti

Mar 20, 2012, 11:01:23 AM3/20/12
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, andres....@gmail.com
It worked like a charm!

This Jazz/Jedi thingy is amazing! I feel like a Padawan!

Thanks Guillaume for the great support!

Andrés.