Unbound variable when running make on windows

Bryan Green

Feb 28, 2013, 10:04:27 AM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com
I am currently trying to get the build to work on windows 7.  I get to the make step, specifically scheme.core and get the following:

make scheme.core
Unbound variable: ##print-marker

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Michal Maruska

Feb 28, 2013, 2:32:33 PM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Green
I think I worked around that by commenting out:

; (define print-marker
; ##print-marker)

in jazz/lib/jazz.backend.scheme/src/jazz/backend/scheme/runtime/core/reader.scm

But I only built and did not test the result, yet.

Marc Feeley

Feb 28, 2013, 4:35:42 PM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com

On 2013-02-28, at 10:04 AM, Bryan Green <dbryan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently trying to get the build to work on windows 7. I get to the make step, specifically scheme.core and get the following:
>
> make scheme.core
> Unbound variable: ##print-marker

Apparently you are using an old version of Gambit (which is a bad idea). ##print-marker is defined in the most recent version.

Marc

Bryan Green

Feb 28, 2013, 4:49:26 PM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com
I am using whatever the process to build jazz pulls?  Not sure how it gets it, will look at that.

Bryan Green

Feb 28, 2013, 4:49:43 PM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Green
That worked.

Bryan Green

Feb 28, 2013, 4:54:13 PM2/28/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com
Marc, it looks like jazz uses gambit-4.6.6.

Guillaume Cartier

May 17, 2013, 7:36:44 AM5/17/13
to jazzs...@googlegroups.com
Great fix Michal!

Indeed Jazz uses a customized version of Gambit 4.6.6 with various additions.

Last week I modified Jazz to be able to work without those additions and so was able to build Jazz using the latest Gambit. Unfortunately, in the 8 months of not using the latest Gambit, it seems that various bugs have been inserted in Gambit (random heap overflow crashes, problems with TCP on Windows). I am waiting on Marc to look at those. Until then we will still need the customized Gambit 4.6.6: https://github.com/jazzscheme/gambit that the ./jam script pulls automatically.

Guillaume