[jazz_guitar] Re: Hearing only the guitar track

bausin@sbcglobal.net [jazz_guitar]

Sep 15, 2018, 11:33:29 PM9/15/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

In general, no, you can't isolate one instrument from the mix. Of course, it depends on how it was mixed.

I have one of the JP/EF CDs and it's mixed so that they are both pretty much in the center. However, Joe plays solo intros and solos throughout. Plus, it's not hard to pick out his playing despite the vocals.

There is one other trick you can use to possibly help isolate an instrument. You can build a small box with 2 jacks. The input is stereo and the output is mono L - R. This cancels any sounds that are common to both channels, like bass and drums. I used this when I was copping Grady Martin's guitar work on El Paso. There were places where I could clearly hear what he was playing that were inaudible in the normal mix.

__._,_.___

.

__,_._,___

j745151416@yahoo.com [jazz_guitar]

Sep 16, 2018, 8:29:22 AM9/16/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

I've used a vocal zapper to remove the vocals from recordings leaving just a small impression of the original vocal. The device reverses the right and left phase of the recording cancelling out the center mix which is usually the vocal.

you can find them used on reverb.com and ebay.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: j7451...@yahoo.com

.

Duffy.jack@gmail.com [jazz_guitar]

Sep 16, 2018, 4:30:54 PM9/16/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

Perhaps a dumb question but something I've always wondered about. When listening to a recording, is it possible technically to strip out everything but the guitar track? On the records Joe Pass made with Ella Fitzgerald, for example, is it possible to listen only to Joe's accompaniment? That would be a fantastic learning experience. In another context, would it be possible today to take an old Stones record and just listen to what Keith Richards is playing? Thanks

Posted by: Duffy...@gmail.com

.