[jazz_guitar] Seymour Duncan Pickups for Jazz

ron45@tularosa.net [jazz_guitar]

Jul 26, 2018, 1:04:53 PM7/26/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

Hello everyone, been quite an ordeal to get signed in here this time around. Hello to Juan and John Amato if he is still active here.

I got a used archtop from the folks at Heritage Via Wolfe Guitars in Fla. There are issues with the floater. I've been talking with Mike at Herritage [ fine bunch of people as far as I can tell.

They suggested I try to bend the floater's mount and it came loose.... with very minimal prodding by me. I could see there was no room to move with the pick gard in place. This in it's self isn't a big issue. I am thinking about replacing that pickup anyway. For now it would be a neck mount. The guitar was built to satisfy someone who wanted a Johnny Smith model. According to the hype they came as close as they could with out infringing on somebody's turf according to the story. I wanted that particular guitar because of the 1.75 nut and the 25 inch scale. I really liked that idea and had never played on till mine arrived. So that's why I want to ask you guys about pickups. I remember someone [ but sadly not their name ] who often spoke highly of Seymour Duncan pickups. I remember he had an L4 at the time I was hanging around here. I'd like to find out which pickup he was talking about. It would be pretty easy to hang a full sized humbucker there. I lean toward the darker sound of a top mounted humbucker, but Mike and some of the folks at Heritage are not big fans of that idea. I think..... the top is braced with two parallel braces which would not be compromised by putting one there. But if I can find the right neck mount p.u. I could spend more time playing then woodworking. That would be ok too.

Does anyone remember the Seymour Duncan pickup L4 owner was so in favor of? Again I apologize.

p.s. I'm still not a jazzer and still can't compose a brief post.

Ron

__._,_.___

Posted by: ro...@tularosa.net

.

__,_._,___

'J. Vega' JVegaTrio@aol.com [jazz_guitar]

Jul 26, 2018, 1:38:59 PM7/26/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

Hi Ron,

Nice to hear from you! Maybe the guy you're referring to is Brian Kelly? Brian knows Seymour Duncan & if memory serves he had an L-4, too. If you're looking for a neck-mounted p/u I recommend you look at units from Jason Lollar & Kent Armstrong. Jason Lollar is the "yoda" of pickups; I have one of his Charlie Christian models on my main Telecaster & that guitar can do just about anything. Kent Armstrong is no slouch, either; I have one of his neck-mounted p/us on my Epiphone Howard Roberts & that guitar has an amazing "jazz box" sound.

Congrats & good luck with the new guitar...

Cheers,
JV

Juan Vega

In a message dated 7/26/2018 10:04:47 AM Pacific Standard Time, jazz_...@yahoogroups.com writes:

[...]

Posted by: "J. Vega" <jveg...@aol.com>

.

__,_._,___

Chris Smart csmart8@cogeco.ca [jazz_guitar]

Aug 9, 2018, 12:00:59 AM8/9/18
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com

>Check out a podcast called the body Electric. It features mostly
>Toronto-based guitarists, but is expanding to include players of
>other instruments as well.

Chris

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Posted by: Chris Smart <csm...@cogeco.ca>

.