Implement a specific task in Java, unfamiliar with the paradigm, could use feedback/input.

jamx...@yahoo.com

Jul 16, 2015, 11:13:19 PM7/16/15
to java...@googlegroups.com
My task is to parse a large mssql table into a csv file, to be uploaded elsewhere. This needs to occur on a scheduled basis (daily, but should be configurable), and the task should be able to be executed on the click of a button on a webpage.

It would be non-ideal to install and maintain Tomcat or any other web/application server to run a Java program, because these are not currently available and they probably have unnecessary overhead.

My thought is that I would just write my database querying, csv converting, file uploading, (business logic, etc) in Java, package it up in a jar, and stick it somewhere my Jenkins server can get to (I have access to a Jenkins installation). Then I would just configure a Jenkins job to execute the main method as a shell command. And then when the web page button is pushed, I could create a Jenkins job (in php or whatever) to execute the main method a single time.

This seems easy to implement and maintain. Are there any obvious pitfalls here that I'm unaware of? Is this a misuse of Jenkins? Any input on other implementation strategies, or ways to improve the one I

Also, any advice on how to create a csv from a large mssql table would be, in a time efficicent and memory safe manner, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.