mac retina display for java

phil swenson

Jun 14, 2012, 12:49:44 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
I gather that java will need to be updated for the new mac book pro's
retina display.

I wonder how long it will take for mac java? And who is in charge of
this? Apple? Oracle?

Anyone know?

Ricky Clarkson

Jun 14, 2012, 12:51:08 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com

Is it anything other than a higher resolution display?  If not, why would Java need updating?

Kevin Wright

Jun 14, 2012, 12:54:37 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Artwork in swing themes, I'm guessing.  IIRC, swing will delegate to native components nowadays, so I'm *hoping* it'll be okay.  A vector-based LnF like Nimbus should also be fine.

Failing that, we'll just have our IDEs consuming less real estate for chrome, and showing moar code!

Phil Swenson

Jun 14, 2012, 1:18:12 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Well, the new display is 2880 x 1800 in 15.4"... Normally that would make everything crazy small so apple implemented this by having apps see everything as 1440x900 but use vector fonts and having optional  "2x" assets for the graphics.

Russel Winder

Jun 14, 2012, 1:56:05 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 10:18 -0700, Phil Swenson wrote:
> Well, the new display is 2880 x 1800 in 15.4"... Normally that would
> make everything crazy small so apple implemented this by having apps
> see everything as 1440x900 but use vector fonts and having optional
> "2x" assets for the graphics.

Sounds like "backward compatibility" is going to ruin another good
technology.

Of course there is only a problem if applications work in pixels instead
of points, millimeters, etc. but why would people be designing UIs in
pixels in this day and age?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

Fabrizio Giudici

Jun 14, 2012, 4:05:21 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Wright
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:54:37 +0200, Kevin Wright
<kev.lee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Artwork in swing themes, I'm guessing. IIRC, swing will delegate to
> native
> components nowadays, so I'm *hoping* it'll be okay.

It depends. So far, the best Mac OS X fidelity is achieved by means of
Quaqua, which AFAIK is not based on native components. So I guess it would
need an updated, unless it's based on vectorial artwork (I don't think so).

What I fail to understand is the advantage of retina display for a
developer (except for the joy of owning a new toy). I'm used to very small
fonts on my 15" and the limit is not definition, but the size of
characters. I woulnd't use a smaller font, nor I'd read better with a
better definition. I'm curious to see how photos renders on a 15" retina
display, but for serious photo stuff I use a serious external 24" display.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."

Oscar Hsieh

Jun 14, 2012, 5:08:48 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Seems that apple is still responsible for the Java 1.6 update, and the last update they pushed out (a couple days ago) they actually did a pretty good job

"Today Oracle released a new version of the Java runtime, and while in the past Apple has lagged a number of weeks behind Oracle's releases, the company was hot on the heels of the Java release and issued its own update very shortly after Oracle's."

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57451998-263/apple-gives-java-more-attention-after-security-snafu/

Oscar Hsieh

Jun 14, 2012, 5:18:52 PM6/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
I think the main advantage shaper/crisp looking text so smaller font becomes more readable and easier for your eyes ... if you ever seen the ipad2's retina display you will know what I mean.

phil swenson

Jun 22, 2012, 9:25:34 AM6/22/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
So apparently java 6 on mac already supports retina displays.

Here is how to fix on IntelliJ: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-87500

Baqir Hus

Sep 12, 2014, 12:02:48 AM9/12/14
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hey ma, I have got the same problem, I am a programmer and using dr java on my mac-book with retina display, but dr java doesn't support retina display, so I just looking for any solution. I think oracle is responsible for this.