Re: [The Java Posse] Digest for javaposse@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Joel Neely

Jun 11, 2014, 7:16:30 AM6/11/14
to java...@googlegroups.com
Lua is the programming language under the Codea app on the iPad, and has been used as "the language" to write games publishable on that platform.

I have Java on my Raspberry Pi, and it runs fine. Obviously I won't be running a large exposed database on it (due to storage capacity limits) or doing realtime aerodynamic simulation (due to CPU speed and memory capacity limits), but those are driven by the provisioning characteristics of my device and not driven by Java the language.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM, <java...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/javaposse/topics

    clay <clayt...@gmail.com> Jun 10 04:12PM -0700

    On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:21:48 AM UTC-5, Josh Berry wrote:
    > platform environments, this just never happened. Closest would actually be
    > .net and friends, I believe.

    > The Java cross platform model targets Win/Mac/Linux workstations and it
    does that extremely well. It's not just cross platform, but largely write
    once, run anywhere, where same compiled .jar file can run on Win/Mac/Linux.

    What Java doesn't do is target game consoles at all. Technically it's
    possible, but it's not a practical reality for end developers at the
    moment. Java/JVM->iOS is limited, although lots of games use RoboVM for
    this. And Android uses Java, but the API is completely separate from other
    platforms, so there is no write once type code sharing.

    Most high-level languages are extremely cross platform. Lua, for example,
    is extremely cross platform and is often used on top of a C-based game
    engine.

    Most of .NET's cross platform success is through the Unity game engine,
    which is mostly written in C, but uses Mono/C# for scripting like other
    games use Lua or UnrealScript. They also have MonoGame and tools for making
    Android/iOS apps in C# using largely platform native APIs which prohibits
    any type of write once code sharing.

    Many languages like Haskell, usually just compile down to C, so I don't see
    why those would be less cross platform friendly.

    Josh Berry <tae...@gmail.com> Jun 10 10:46PM -0400

    >> The Java cross platform model targets Win/Mac/Linux workstations and it
    > does that extremely well. It's not just cross platform, but largely write
    > once, run anywhere, where same compiled .jar file can run on Win/Mac/Linux.

    Apologies, I was a definitely too absolute in my claim. I was more just
    going on admittedly anecdotal evidence that most truly cross platform
    applications that aren't a) ugly, or b) dog slow are not written in Java
    and related languages. I'm definitely open to counters.

    But, once you get that list made, compare it to the number of applications
    that are heavily used in many platforms and the language they used. From
    the Kernel, which is on near everything, to browsers. Mozilla is at least
    making a stab with a new language that will compete with C/C++. It isn't
    clear this will win, though.

    > Most high-level languages are extremely cross platform. Lua, for example,
    > is extremely cross platform and is often used on top of a C-based game
    > engine.

    Lua doesn't try to be "the language" that you write your application in,
    though. Or does it nowdays? Last I saw, it was picked specifically
    because it was easy to embed in a C program.

    Many languages like Haskell, usually just compile down to C, so I don't see
    > why those would be less cross platform friendly.

    I want to agree with you, but I would prefer evidence. :)

    Also, and I apologize if this is basically goal post shifting, but when I
    refer to cross platform, I don't necessarily mean just linux/mac/windows.
    I mean something that can run on the raspberry pi, or aduino, or *any*
    phone/tablet/whatever. Obviously, not just any C program can be made to
    fit this bill. But, to my knowledge, no Java program can. (Of course,
    maybe Angry Birds is all it takes to prove me wrong. Or Scumm games, in
    general. :) )

--
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity. - Plato

Fabrizio Giudici

Jun 11, 2014, 9:56:27 AM6/11/14
to java...@googlegroups.com, Joel Neely
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:16:24 +0200, Joel Neely <joel....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Lua is the programming language under the Codea app on the iPad, and has
> been used as "the language" to write games publishable on that platform.

If I'm not wrong Lua is also used by Adobe Lightroom, for the UI interface.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."

Cédric Beust ♔

Jun 11, 2014, 12:44:34 PM6/11/14
to java...@googlegroups.com, Joel Neely
LUA is the default scripting language for most video games these days (including World of Warcraft) because it's trivial to embed, crazy fast and quite a reasonable language in the "C family" category.

--
Cédric