Chet Haase Leaves Sun to Join Adobe Flex Team

Todd Costella

Feb 22, 2008, 11:08:07 AM2/22/08
to The Java Posse
I was surprised to learn this morning that Chet Hasse has left Sun and
joined the folks at Adobe. http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/ I've
followed Chet's contributions to the Swing world for a few years and
he will be missed for sure. I wish him well of course but wonder who
will step up and fill the very large hole that his leaving creates.

Congrats James, this is a huge addition to your group at Adobe.

Todd

mikaelgrev

Feb 22, 2008, 11:30:27 AM2/22/08
to The Java Posse
I wonder if the reason is Sun, or if Adobe simply offered more.

On Feb 22, 5:08 pm, Todd Costella <Todd.Coste...@entero.com> wrote:
> I was surprised to learn this morning that Chet Hasse has left Sun and
> joined the folks at Adobe.http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/I've

Joe Nuxoll (Java Posse)

Feb 22, 2008, 5:17:39 PM2/22/08
to The Java Posse
Guys like Chet don't move for money reasons... He gets to pick where
he wants to work.

Van Riper

Feb 22, 2008, 5:55:41 PM2/22/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Joe Nuxoll (Java Posse)
<jnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys like Chet don't move for money reasons... He gets to pick where
> he wants to work.

I don't know him personally, but, I did have an opportunity to chat
briefly with him in the airport on the way back from JavaPolis. He was
on the same plane back from Europe that I was on. he seemed to me like
a person that is fairly direct. So, I tend to believe his stated
reasons for going to Adobe. He states one of the major reasons pretty
clearly in his first blog post in a new Flex blog:

http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-hello-world.html

"One of the things that attracted me to Flex, and to Adobe, was a
client platform that enables very rich user experiences; transitions,
animations, filters, and just darned good-looking UIs are all pretty
exciting to this graphics geek. I hope to be able to help make Flex an
even richer platform going forward."

This statement says volumes to me. If *anyone* should know about the
merits of JavaFX versus Flex for rich user experience programming, it
would be a graphics programming guru at Sun. I don't want to read too
much into his career decision to focus on Flex rather than JavaFX,
but, it is really hard for me not to.

-Van

--
----
----
| Silicon Valley Google Technology User Group
| mailto:van....@gmail.com
| http://sv-gtug.org

mikaelgrev

Feb 22, 2008, 7:16:34 PM2/22/08
to The Java Posse
Unless the difference is substancial... But anyway, offered more might
also mean that for instance he got a position where he would have more
influence and less byrocracy.

On Feb 22, 11:17 pm, "Joe Nuxoll (Java Posse)" <jnux...@gmail.com>

Joe Nuxoll (Java Posse)

Feb 22, 2008, 11:54:10 PM2/22/08
to The Java Posse
Agreed. "more" could certainly mean "mo betta job".

James Ward

Feb 23, 2008, 10:36:10 AM2/23/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
We are really excited to have Chet on board! Chet and I will be at the
Java Posse Roundup and I hope to meet many of you there! I believe that
Chet will also still be speaking at JavaOne on Filthy Rich Clients with
Romain Guy.

-James

Todd Costella

Feb 23, 2008, 11:19:55 AM2/23/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
Outstanding!
winmail.dat

Casper Bang

Feb 24, 2008, 9:43:03 AM2/24/08
to The Java Posse
Well, really not a great many of the original guro's left at Sun now.

As usual, stuffthathappens humorously illustrates current events:
http://stuffthathappens.com/blog/2008/02/23/comic-so-long-chet/

/Casper

Dianne Marsh

Feb 24, 2008, 1:34:04 PM2/24/08
to The Java Posse
Congrats Chet and Adobe! Looking forward to hearing all about Chet's
new role at the Roundup!

Dianne

On Feb 23, 10:36 am, "James Ward" <jaw...@adobe.com> wrote:
> We are really excited to have Chet on board! Chet and I will be at the
> Java Posse Roundup and I hope to meet many of you there! I believe that
> Chet will also still be speaking at JavaOne on Filthy Rich Clients with
> Romain Guy.
>
> -James

Message has been deleted

Joshua Marinacci

Feb 26, 2008, 3:10:30 AM2/26/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment on why Chet left (since I don't know), but I can say that ongoing development of client Java is going very well. Chet was a huge contributor to the team and we will all be using his animation APIs for years to come. While we will certainly miss him (and his horrendously awesome puns) he was one member of a large team with many new and excited developers.  We have big plans for client Java. And at the same time I look forward to seeing what Chet will do at Adobe.

- Josh

On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Todd Costella wrote:

I was surprised to learn this morning that Chet Hasse has left Sun and joined the folks at Adobe. http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/ I’ve followed Chet’s contributions to the Swing world for a few years and he will be missed for sure. I wish him well of course but wonder who will step up and fill the very large hole that his leaving creates.

Christian Catchpole

Feb 26, 2008, 10:03:32 PM2/26/08
to The Java Posse
You can tell us more about it in Sydney next week. My travel is
approved and the beer is being prepared as we speak.

On Feb 26, 6:10 pm, Joshua Marinacci <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't comment on why Chet left (since I don't know), but I can say
> that ongoing development of client Java is going very well. Chet was a
> huge contributor to the team and we will all be using his animation
> APIs for years to come. While we will certainly miss him (and his
> horrendously awesome puns) he was one member of a large team with many
> new and excited developers. We have big plans for client Java. And at
> the same time I look forward to seeing what Chet will do at Adobe.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Todd Costella wrote:
>
> > I was surprised to learn this morning that Chet Hasse has left Sun
> > and joined the folks at Adobe.http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/

Joshua Marinacci

Feb 26, 2008, 11:46:09 PM2/26/08
to java...@googlegroups.com