11 Mar 2020, Kubernetes Koncepts

David Kowis

Mar 8, 2020, 8:10:18 PM3/8/20
to JavaMUG-Announce

Kubernetes Koncepts

Abstract:

You have some modular code with a REST API. You are on your way to Microservices. Next, you package it in a container image that others can run. Simple. Now what? Your service needs to log information, needs to scale and load balance between its clones. Your service needs environment and metadata way outside its context. What about where the service will run? Who starts it? What monitors its health? What about antifragility? Updates? Networking? Oh my.

Don't get flustered. We will explore how Kubernetes simplifies the complexity of distributed computing.

This session will help you understand the terms, architecture and the mechanics of the Kubernetes tools. You will understand how to target your applications to a seemingly complex distributed compute platform.

Complete Abstract (https://www.javamug.org/meeting/225)

Presenter: Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson is an independent software architect with a concentration on helping others unpack the riches in the cloud native and Kubernetes ecosystems.

Jonathan is halfway into his second score of engineering commercial software, driven by his desire to design helpful software to move us forward. His applications began with laboratory instrument software and managing its data. Jonathan was enticed by the advent of object-oriented design to develop personal banking software. Banking soon turned to the internet, and enterprise applications took off. Java exploded onto the scene, and since then he has inhabited that ecosystem. At 454 Life Sciences and Roche Diagnostics, Jonathan returned to laboratory software and leveraged Java-based state machines and enterprise services to manage the terabytes of data flowing out of DNA sequencing instruments. Then as a hands-on architect at Thermo Fisher Scientific, he applied the advantages of microservices, containers, and Kubernetes to their laboratory management platform.

Jonathan enjoys comparing and sharing his adventures with peers. He shares ways to modernize application architectures while adhering to the fundamentals of high modularity and low coupling.

Complete Bio (https://www.javamug.org/speaker/157)

Giveaways:

We'll hold a drawing at the end of the meeting. To enter, you must register on the application provided at the meeting. All requested information must be provided, and you must be present to win.

Meeting Location:
Improving
5445 Legacy Drive
Suite 100
Plano TX

Location Details:

Improving is located at 5445 Legacy Dr. in Plano. This is the Northwest corner of Legacy and Hedgcoxe. It doesn't have great signage right now so here is a picture of the south side of the building (the side facing Legacy) where you should park and enter.

A couple of things:
  • Doors will be locked after 6:00 PM but we will be monitoring the south doors until the meeting starts at 7:00 PM
  • After that or if you can't get in before then and no one is watching text (469) 444-0196.
  • There is parking on the north side of the building too.
Hope to see everyone there.

Improving Office Locations: http://www.improving.com/contact

Directions and information can be found at http://javamug.org/mainpages/directions.html

Follow JavaMUG announcements at JavaMUG announce list: http://groups.google.com/group/JavaMUG-Announce/subscribe

JavaMUG announce list RSS feed: http://javamug.org/feed.xml
JavaMUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JavaMUG

David Kowis

Mar 9, 2020, 8:06:09 PM3/9/20
to JavaMUG-Announce
Due to concerns about the Coronavirus, we're going to follow suit with many other JUGs and cancel our meeting for this month.

Stay safe! Wash your hands!

We'll send out another announcement when we've rescheduled it! Thanks!