Latest Android SDK broke communication of ar.drone and Javadrone?

Moises Cardona

Nov 6, 2012, 2:07:40 PM11/6/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

During March 2012 till summer I've been making android apps with the javadrone library and android and it all worked great.

Eclipse 4.2 got released and the Android SDK received an update, but now, the ar.drone would turn red for a second, then would go green and will not do anything.

I updated javadrone to 1.3 and still no luck. Old compiled APK works, but the new compiled ones are not working. This means, as an instructor of a Technology Program in Puerto Rico that I can no longer give the training as it is not possible to demonstrate the helicopter in action with the latest SDK and javadrone.

Can this issue be fixed???

Thanks.

Denis Shmyga

Nov 8, 2012, 1:37:18 PM11/8/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi  I've just retested released 1.3a apk file.  Parrot AR.Drone 1.0 works fine.  Did you use instructions form http://code.google.com/p/javadrone/wiki/BuildInstructions to compile source code and generate Eclipse project files ?

Difference between new 1.3 apt and  previous version is only in support ob USB connected PS3 Controller.  Access to usb  devices is supported from API level 13 (Android 3.1) and only if device supports OTG function.  Minimal phone requirement changed from level 8  (Android 2.2) to API level 13 (Android 3.1) accordingly.

Please provide more information about error that you receive: parrot AR.Drone version, logs or any stack trace information, version of eclipse  (I made test on Eclipse Juno (4.2) SR1 ), ADT plug-in version  (my is Version: 20.0.3.v201208082019-427395)

Moises Cardona

Nov 9, 2012, 2:01:58 PM11/9/12
to java...@googlegroups.com

Every time I press the button I get this:

11-09 14:59:32.460: W/System.err(18208): java.io.IOException: Connection Error
11-09 14:59:32.460: W/System.err(18208): at com.codeminders.ardrone.ARDrone.waitForReady(ARDrone.java:619)
11-09 14:59:32.470: W/System.err(18208): at ar.fly.ti.ARFlyActivity$1.onClick(ARFlyActivity.java:47)
11-09 14:59:32.470: W/System.err(18208): at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:3549)
11-09 14:59:32.470: W/System.err(18208): at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:14393)
11-09 14:59:32.470: W/System.err(18208): at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:605)
11-09 14:59:32.470: W/System.err(18208): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4945)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
11-09 14:59:32.480: W/System.err(18208): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)
11-09 14:59:32.490: W/System.err(18208): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Meng Jiann Lee

Nov 11, 2012, 12:12:40 PM11/11/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

I have tried to build the project too. Since i m quite new to java and eclipse, i have failed to build the project even though i have follow the build instruction that u have specified. Now, i have maven and eclipse installed on my laptop. But when i tried to execute mvn install, it showed builded fail. May i know whether is it correct to execute the command in the directory whre i keep all the files?
Here is a snapshot of the error message.

Hope that you can guide me in building the project. Thanks.

Regards,

MJ

Meng Jiann Lee

Nov 12, 2012, 5:16:17 AM11/12/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I solved my question. Thanks. :)

Regards,
MJ

Denis Shmyga

Nov 12, 2012, 10:41:07 AM11/12/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Looks like that after 10 seconds we failed to connect to AR.Drone. Please verify that android phone is connected to ARDrone WIFI hotspot.
Also you can increase connection time from default is 10 seconds, just edit MainActivity CONNECTION_TIMEOUT constant (value is in milliseconds)

After your  phone is connected to  ARDrone WIFI program expects that ARDrone is available on default IP (192.168.1.1). If your drone is configured to use different IP you can change it by editing this line:
drone = new ARDrone(InetAddress.getByAddress(ARDrone.DEFAULT_DRONE_IP), 10000, 60000);