Poll: How does your Swing desktop app get its data?

Jacek Furmankiewicz

Dec 23, 2010, 2:14:14 PM12/23/10
to JavaBuilders
I am looking at some potential productivity enhancements for the
future and would like to know how
most modern Swing development is done in our user base:

1) Speak directly to DB via JPA
2) Speak to app server via REST (JAX-RS)
3) Speak to app server via remoting or Hessian

or

4) Other (give details)

I mostly focus on server-side work these days, it's been a while since
I've done a Swing project,
but am interested in seeing how you folks out there are speaking to
your data sources.

I was thinking of developing something akin to Django Admin, on top of
Swing JB and GlazedLists,
but need to think how the backend integration would work.

WarnerJan Veldhuis

Dec 23, 2010, 3:06:51 PM12/23/10
to javabu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacek,

Our application is a full fledged fat Swing client that talks to a JBoss 4 appserver. It has an old school facade that calls remote EJB's, which in turn use andcrafted DAO's to access the database. Very standard, nothing fancy, no uber leet frameworks. It's not even webbased, also a very complex datamodel, so I don't see an auto-generated admin interface happening for our application. The idea is nice though. I remember some Oracle framework doing sort of the same a few years ago...

I use SwingJavaBuilder mostly to create a Java GUI on the fly from data in my Drupal CMS. Our client application uses XML-RPC to talk to our webserver (LAMP + Drupal) to get data, like latest forumposts, calendar, what's new etc. The returned response is an XML-RPC message that contains a YAML formatted String that I feed directly into SwingJavaBuilder. Since setting text is a b*tch in YAML, I send all the captions separately in the XML-RPC response. The wonderful public void buildEnded() method enables me to iterate recursively over the generated panel, and if it's a JTextComponent I take the name and dig into a Map of Strings to set the text. That's how I avoid the colon, quotes, newlines, whitespace and other freaky YAML issues.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

WarnerJan

> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:14:14 -0800
> Subject: Poll: How does your Swing desktop app get its data?
> From: jac...@gmail.com
> To: javabu...@googlegroups.com

Fred Swartz

Dec 24, 2010, 10:51:33 PM12/24/10
to javabu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacek,

I'm fairly happy with SwingJavaBuilder as it is and have no server / DB needs.
My programming is with conventional desktop applications (with lots
of charts). Perhaps converting my own clunky charts to JFreeChart will raise
SwingJavaBuilder issues, but otherwise otherwise I expect smooth sailing.

So do what you want - you've shown such excellent judgement in the past
that I'm sure whatever you choose to work on will be very useful.

Thanks for the great work.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or whatever,

Fred