Question on UUIDUtil class

kernelpanic

Oct 16, 2011, 2:32:27 AM10/16/11
to Java Uuid Generator Users
Why is the constructor private? I'd like to extend this class in my
own codebase. Would it be possible to release a new build with the
constructor public instead?

Tatu Saloranta

Oct 16, 2011, 6:11:42 PM10/16/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com

Utility classes are typically static and not instantiated. What is
your use case? (i.e. what are you trying to do)

-+ Tatu +-

Chad Wilson

Nov 2, 2011, 10:50:41 PM11/2/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com
Well, there's always the case where you don't want imports of external dependencies in some projects.  For my specific case though, I have my own util class, and I found it to be easier to simply extend to get access, than to create an internal instance and proxy the methods I need.

Chad

Tatu Saloranta

Nov 2, 2011, 11:58:53 PM11/2/11
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Chad Wilson <kernel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, there's always the case where you don't want imports of external
> dependencies in some projects.  For my specific case though, I have my own
> util class, and I found it to be easier to simply extend to get access, than
> to create an internal instance and proxy the methods I need.

Ok. I am not really set against this; the easiest way to get it done
would probably be just forking at github, sending merge request?
Main reason being that right now I am very time crunched, but it's
easier to find time for quick sanity checking and pushing "accept
merge" than doing anything pro-active :-)

-+ Tatu +-

Chad Wilson

Nov 3, 2011, 10:37:58 PM11/3/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com
It's up on github.

Thanks,

Chad

Tatu Saloranta

Nov 3, 2011, 11:18:28 PM11/3/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com
Just merged it, thanks! I should go through other issues there too...
things have been bit busy with other projects :)

-+ Tatu +-

Chad Wilson

Nov 4, 2011, 11:18:27 AM11/4/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com
No worries, I know exactly what you mean!

Tatu Saloranta

Nov 4, 2011, 11:27:48 AM11/4/11
to java-uuid-ge...@googlegroups.com
On plus side, I went ahead and closed couple of other accumulated
issues, so 3.1.3 is now out. :)

-+ Tatu +-