Oracle/Sun

Stuart Grimshaw

Feb 12, 2010, 4:49:03 AM2/12/10
to Sheffield Java User Group
Suprised this went without a mention the other week when it went
through, what do people think?

We talked a bit about it last night, and in the main I don't think
it'll have that much impact on Java, but things like MySQL might
suffer, it won't dissapear, but what's Oracle's motive to implement
more enterprise level features when that's what their main business is.

brabster

Feb 28, 2010, 10:39:12 AM2/28/10
to Sheffield Java User Group
The Oracle branding on the ex-Sun sites is the most obvious change for
me so far!

Re: MySQL, brings a big community to Oracle I guess, but they do offer
a free express version of Oracle DB so I dunno what the future holds.
The end of MySQL in its current form? Maybe the open source community
will fork it.

On Feb 12, 9:49 am, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart.grims...@gmail.com>

James Jefferies

Mar 2, 2010, 9:43:56 AM3/2/10
to Sheffield Java User Group
Oracle have invested a lot in Java, so I don't think we have to worry
too much about the future of the platform, in fact I look forward to
things like the introduction of jrocket goodies in to the JVM.

They also already own innoDB and Berkeley DB, so I suspect they'll
keep MySQL going in a similar vein. Although we may trumpet the great
features in MySQL, my experience is that Oracle 10g, for example is
some way ahead of MySQL 5.1 (for example). I think they can co-exist.
I think the Java Posse suggested that Oracle are happy for clients to
pick and choose their stack, but ultimately, they'll recommend going
with their Hardware (formerly Sun), running Solaris, with an Oracle
Enterprise DB, Oracle App Server (of whatever flavour) and a lot of
big companies will bite the bullet and go with it.