Our first meet-up?

1 view

Stuart Grimshaw

Oct 14, 2009, 2:16:42 PM10/14/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Shall we all get together next week, nothing formal, just to say hello
and have a drink.

A couple of questions:

1) What day shall we meet? We have a rollout at work next Thursday so
that day's out in case it all goes a bit Pete Tong, and I can't do
Mondays either, but I think pretty much any other day next week should
be Ok.

2) Where shall we meet? Most of these kinds of groups seem to meet in
a pub, but there are plenty of other geek get-togethers that are pub
based so I was thinking about meeting in a coffee shop (java ...
coffee ... geddit?) Maybe go to a different shop every meetup until we
pick a favorite?

3) What time? After work seems to be the obvious choice, but what time
do we all finish work?

-S

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stubbs
Blog: http://stubblog.wordpress.com
My art: http://stuartgrimshaw.imagekind.com
Stock Images: http://en.fotolia.com/partner/16775

brabster

Oct 14, 2009, 3:06:06 PM10/14/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Great plan with the coffee, Stuart.

I recommend Gusto Italiano on Church Street, near the Cathedral.
http://www.gustosheffield.co.uk/

After work for me can be arranged to be anytime from 1600. I can't do
Tuesday, but I think I'm good any other day... looking forward to
meeting those of you whom I don't already know and catching up with
those I do!

Cheers,

Paul

Ian Ibbotson

Oct 14, 2009, 3:09:02 PM10/14/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
anytime after 1600 good for me too... tues/thurs difficult normally but can be swung :)

Ian.

Ian Ibbotson

Oct 14, 2009, 3:09:43 PM10/14/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Suppose I should have said could be swing-ed?

</groan>

Ed Bowler

Oct 15, 2009, 2:28:31 PM10/15/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
There's a coffee shop in Hillsborough called the Java Lounge, that
I've not been in yet, if you were looking for approprately named
coffee emporiums.

I will have trouble getting out of work before 6, but can do any day next week.

Looking forward to a good java geek out ;)

Ed

Dan Dukeson

Oct 15, 2009, 2:58:55 PM10/15/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
2009/10/15 Ed Bowler <ed.b...@gmail.com>:

Java Lounge or Gusto are both good for me. Looking forward to it.

Dan

Stuart Grimshaw

Oct 15, 2009, 5:27:57 PM10/15/09
On Oct 15, 7:28 pm, Ed Bowler <ed.bow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a coffee shop in Hillsborough called the Java Lounge, that
> I've not been in yet, if you were looking for approprately named
> coffee emporiums.

What time does the Java Lounge close? They don't seem to have a
website ...

Gusto shuts at 6, which is a bit early.

Maybe coffee shops don't open late enough for what we want.

James Jefferies

Oct 15, 2009, 5:35:46 PM10/15/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Next week is a bit rubbish for me unfortunately, the week after though
26 - 30th, looks fine! I can usually get out at 5pm.

I think Gusto stays open in the evenings now, so that could still
work. You can get a relatively good coffee at Blue Moon (until 8pm)
and they have some big tables - not sure of others open later in the
city centre.

Dan Dukeson

Oct 15, 2009, 5:39:58 PM10/15/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
2009/10/15 James Jefferies <jamesje...@gmail.com>:

> I think Gusto stays open in the evenings now, so that could still
> work. You can get a relatively good coffee at Blue Moon (until 8pm)

Last time I was in gusto they said they don't open in the evenings any more.

brabster

Oct 15, 2009, 5:55:41 PM10/15/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Blue Moon's good for me. I'm sure places like the Showroom serve
coffee too, if it comes to it... just requires discipline!

On Oct 15, 10:39 pm, Dan Dukeson <danduke...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed Bowler

Oct 15, 2009, 5:58:20 PM10/15/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Blue moon's good for me too. Shall we say 6 on Wednesday ? Or wait
till James is available week after next ?

Dan Dukeson

Oct 15, 2009, 6:02:34 PM10/15/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
2009/10/15 Ed Bowler <ed.b...@gmail.com>:

> Blue moon's good for me too.  Shall we say 6 on Wednesday ? Or wait
> till James is available week after next ?

Well half of you have been my boss at some point, so I leave the
strategy to you guys.

Dan ;-)

Ian Ibbotson

Oct 16, 2009, 8:02:29 AM10/16/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com

+1 blue moon just for its veggie-ness :)

On Oct 15, 2009 11:02 PM, "Dan Dukeson" <dandu...@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/10/15 Ed Bowler <ed.b...@gmail.com>: >

> Blue moon's good for me too.  Shall we say 6 on Wednesday ? Or wait > till James is available week...

James Jefferies

Oct 17, 2009, 1:09:27 PM10/17/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
aha, Tuesday 20th is now a possibility for me if that works for
everyone. Or are you going for Weds 21st? Or Tuesday 27th would be
perfecto.

Also, apparently Blue Moon has upstairs rooms which we could probably
claim for ourselves if downstairs is a bit too noisy or echoey. Plus
of course, as well as coffee and cake, they do proper food and bottled
beer.

Stuart Grimshaw

Oct 17, 2009, 4:33:03 PM10/17/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Ok, looks like Wednesday 28th Oct. is the time that means we can all
make it, it's the night before a big rollout for me but I should be
Ok.

The Blue Moon seems to be everyone's favorite and if I bring my
Baconnaise, I think I can stomach some non-meat based food :-)

Let's meet there from 6pm till and we can have a chat about what we do
and the kind of technology we use.

-S

James Jefferies

Oct 27, 2009, 10:38:57 AM10/27/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
everyone still set for tomorrow, 6pm, Blue Moon?

Paul Brabban

Oct 27, 2009, 10:42:46 AM10/27/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely, looking forward to it!

"James Jefferies" <jamesje...@gmail.com> wrote:

>everyone still set for tomorrow, 6pm, Blue Moon?

Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.

Stuart Grimshaw

Oct 27, 2009, 12:05:51 PM10/27/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I'll be there.

-S

On 27 Oct 2009, at 14:42, Paul Brabban <darkpho...@yahoo.co.uk>

Marc Johnson

Oct 27, 2009, 6:15:47 PM10/27/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Hi,

I can't make it as I'm in London tomorrow for work and won't be back
till late. Hope everyone has a good time.

Will see you all at the next one.

Marc

Ed Bowler

Oct 28, 2009, 1:59:15 PM10/28/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com

Well ... I'm here. And it occurs to me I would only recognise james jefferies ... any one else here yet ?

James Jefferies

Nov 3, 2009, 9:04:32 AM11/3/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Well, we met. Just wondering if people would be interested in another
meet up soon? I'm super chuffed that I'm going to devoxx this year, so
I could do a little chat on any interesting things I found out whilst
there. Ed, you could do one on the stackoverflow dev day ;)

Controversial I know, but Tuesday December 1st would be supremely
convenient for me.

cheers,

James

Stuart Grimshaw

Nov 3, 2009, 9:12:10 AM11/3/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
> Controversial I know, but Tuesday December 1st would be supremely
> convenient for me.

Sounds good to me ...

brabster

Nov 10, 2009, 1:38:17 PM11/10/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Tuesdays are fine for me too now...

Stuart Grimshaw

Nov 10, 2009, 4:48:52 PM11/10/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Any objections to going back to the hippy nutmuncher place we went last time?

:-)

-S

Stuart Grimshaw

Nov 18, 2009, 6:05:11 AM11/18/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Ok, Tuesday December 1st at Blue Moon Cafe, can someone with write
access add it to the group calendar?

Can we get a feel for numbers as well, who's coming?

Dan Dukeson

Nov 18, 2009, 6:08:57 AM11/18/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
I hope to be there. What time is the start? 6pm?

Dan

Stuart Grimshaw

Nov 18, 2009, 6:15:25 AM11/18/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com

Ed Bowler

Nov 18, 2009, 7:05:53 AM11/18/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com

I expect I'll turn up ...

On 18 Nov 2009 11:15, "Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart....@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, 6pm

-S Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stubbs Blog: http://stubblog.wordpress.com My art: htt...

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Dan Dukeson <dandu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I hope to be there. Wh...

brabster

Nov 19, 2009, 4:32:17 PM11/19/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Hey Stuart, planning on being there, added to the calendar too.

I'll grab email addresses from anyone who wants to be able to update
it at the meetup.

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=0quf283mm6iic8fnmjf59ubi58%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

Cheers!

On Nov 18, 11:05 am, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart.grims...@gmail.com>

James Jefferies

Nov 22, 2009, 5:10:06 PM11/22/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
I'm coming along - will post a list of the talks I went to at Devoxx,
then if any take your interest I can prepare a little something to
explain more...

here is an initial list..

Actors and Scala
Maven reloaded
Agile Mythbusters
Classloaders and Jrebel
Google App engine
Hardware Concurrency
Hades and JPA
Java FX
'Uncle' Bob Martin on Professionalism and Craftmanship
Ivar Jacobsen
JSF2
Lift (Scala web framework)
Scala test
Spock (groovy test framework)
Functional Java

Stuart Grimshaw

Nov 22, 2009, 5:23:29 PM11/22/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
> Maven reloaded

Obviously :-)

> 'Uncle' Bob Martin on Professionalism and Craftmanship

This kind of stuff is always good, traditionally, as a profession,
we're not very, er ... professional.

-S

Stuart Grimshaw

Dec 1, 2009, 9:17:56 AM12/1/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
BUMP

Just in case you forgot ... not mentioning any names ... ;-)

On Nov 22, 10:23 pm, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart.grims...@gmail.com>

James Jefferies

Dec 1, 2009, 9:46:31 AM12/1/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
I'll do a little update on Maven Reloaded and what Uncle Bob had to
say from my notes tonight.

any more for any info on any of these from Devoxx?

Actors and Scala
Maven reloaded
Agile Mythbusters
Classloaders and Jrebel
Google App engine
Hardware Concurrency
Hades and JPA
Java FX
'Uncle' Bob Martin on Professionalism and Craftmanship
Ivar Jacobsen
JSF2
Lift (Scala web framework)
Scala test
Spock (groovy test framework)
Functional Java

.. and

Performance Testing
EE 6 (including JPA2 Bean Validation and all that stuff)
Gradle
Kanban

Ian Ibbotson

Dec 1, 2009, 9:47:07 AM12/1/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
Can't make this one.. sorry guys... sensei requested everyones
presence at training, so have to do that.

next time!

Ed Bowler

Dec 1, 2009, 9:53:22 AM12/1/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM, James Jefferies
<jamesje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> any more for any info on any of these from Devoxx?
> Spock (groovy test framework)
> Gradle

sure ... about to start a groovy project, so a chat about these
wouldn't go amiss ...