How to hire good java developers

1 view

owainlewis

Dec 17, 2009, 9:38:56 AM12/17/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Hello, I'm currently in the process of expanding my development team
at WANdisco and I'm coming up against an odd problem (seems odd to me
anyway) so I thought you guys may have some thoughts.

We're struggling to find good solid java developers - ideally I'm
after people with 3 or more years experience who are smart good
problem solvers and have all the usual qualities we look for in our
colleagues. The problem appears to be that there's a split of
applicants, meaning they fall into two camps:

1) Graduates/less than a years commercial experience.

or

2) Senior developer - actually there appear to be two sorts of these -
those who are highly qualified with genuine experience who are
prohibitively expensive (for this particular role) and those who bill
themselves as Senior Dev (regardless of experience) who also want a
load of money - but don't have the skillz to back it up.

So I guess the question is... how do I go about finding the good
people? How have you found those awesome team members in the past?
We're trying to avoid using agencies as they cost a fortune and don't
seem to do much more than a keyword search on a database (in my
experience). I'm also concerned that the cultural fit has to be right
- we're a small (growing) business so the candidate has to 'get it'
and be up for the challenge.

The job description is here: http://wandisco.com/php/careers.php?career=sheff_java_developer

and we're looking to pay around 30k (though we could go higher for the
right person) - which I think is about the market rate for the
experience.

Any thoughts? Know anyone who's looking? Wanna job?

Cheers. O.

Dan Dukeson

Dec 17, 2009, 9:51:45 AM12/17/09
to java-sheffield
Hi Owain

I think the sort of people you want: smart, problem solving,
experienced java developers are out there, but they all have jobs and
they are going to make a leap into the unknown for 30k, as they are
already earning that or more.

You might get lucky and find someone that hates their job and is just
looking for a change, but that would be lucky.

I think if you offer slightly more than "market rates" you might
attract people who are otherwise quite comfortable in their current
jobs.

Regards
Dan