Top Java Learning Links?

brabster

Dec 1, 2009, 5:50:43 PM12/1/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
- For Java EE getting started, Mastering EJB 3 (pdf):
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/books/wiley/masteringEJB3/index.tss

- Sang Shin's javapassion tutorial site: javapassion.com

- The Java Posse - keep up with the latest news: http://www.javaposse.com/

- javaranch.com (good for cert background & preparation): http://javaranch.com

Si

Dec 2, 2009, 8:33:50 AM12/2/09
to Sheffield Java User Group
Thanks for those.

I started looking at the new language features in Java 5 last night.
Now knowing that Collection<String> was introduce in Java 5 and is
called Generics makes it far easier to ask Google for help :)

Ed (or anyone else for that matter), was this the concurrency/
threading book you were referring to last night?
http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/

Finally, can I just confirm the J2EE situation also:

J2EE == Java 1.4 == bad times
Java EE 5 == Java 5 == good times
Java EE 6 is due out in December '09

Cheers,
Si

James Jefferies

Dec 2, 2009, 9:16:16 AM12/2/09
to Sheffield Java User Group

> Ed (or anyone else for that matter), was this the concurrency/
> threading book you were referring to last night?http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/

that book is the bees knees if you want to learn about the newer java
concurrency frameworks.

We also mentioned Effective Java (2nd Edition) by Josh Bloch and
Thinking In Java I'd also recommend.

.. and yes EE6 should be December the 10th.

James

Ed Bowler

Dec 2, 2009, 11:03:35 AM12/2/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
yup that's the book ... I only work just down the hill from you guys
at the 'net, so I can meet you for lunch if you want to borrow either
the concurrency book or the effective java one ... I'd really suggest
reading the effective java book it's really worth it, es. the 2nd
edition with all the newer java 5 language features ... ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Java-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0201310058

and yes :

J2EE == Java 1.4 == bad times
Java EE 5 == Java 5 == good times
Java EE 6 is due out in December '09

java EE 6 has the newer JPA2 features, which is the first time you'll
actually have a reason to use the standards over the open source
projects (like hibernate), with all the new meta-model goodness ;)

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Java6CompilerPluginsAndTypesafeCriteriaQueries

;)

Ed Bowler

Dec 2, 2009, 11:05:52 AM12/2/09
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
oh ... and I banged on about this :

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/09/27/Concur-dot-next

Tim Bray is famously anti-lisp ... but he's looking for a decent
language to solve the sort of problem you were talking about with that
xml parsing thing ...

Si

Dec 8, 2009, 4:01:57 PM12/8/09
On Dec 2, 4:03 pm, Ed Bowler <ed.bow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yup that's the book ... I only work just down the hill from you guys
> at the 'net, so I can meet you for lunch if you want to borrow either
> the concurrency book or the effective java one ... I'd really suggest
> reading the effective java book it's really worth it, es. the 2nd
> edition with all the newer java 5 language features ... ;)

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to order my own copy of Effective Java
for now and probably take-up your offer for the concurrency book
later.

Si