Oracle Sues Google over it's use of Java in Android

Stuart Grimshaw

Aug 13, 2010, 4:40:24 AM8/13/10
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/08/oracle-sues-google-over-use-of-java-in-android-sdk.ars

Well that came as a suprise. My first thought was who from Apple's
board of director's also sits on Oracle's board? But it doesn't look
like anyone does.

Is this the start of the Bad Things(tm) that were predicted by the
Java community when Oracle bought Sun?

I think it'll also be an interesting case for the open source model
too, because even though a technology is open source, you can still
infringe on someonesIP in your implementation of those standards.

-S

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stubbs
Blog: http://stubblog.wordpress.com
My art: http://stuartgrimshaw.imagekind.com
Stock Images: http://en.fotolia.com/partner/16775

Aaron

Aug 13, 2010, 4:48:08 AM8/13/10
to java-sh...@googlegroups.com, java-sh...@googlegroups.com
They talked about this in the last JavaPosse (or perhaps the one before), episode 317 methinks.

Something about why Google didn't have an Android booth at JavaOne, even though (for example) Microsoft do.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Will we all have to suffer with Java ME again? I doubt it...

Aaron