New Pull Request (some changes), added new Full serializers Test, updated results (+some wiki doc)

Rüdiger Möller

Mar 7, 2014, 2:30:16 PM3/7/14
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com

Hi, did the following changes:

  • upgraded Kryo to 2.23
  • upgraded fst to 1.40

  • added new testrunner shell script as the old one did not work for me with cygwin (adds at least a minimal explanation for each test)

  • added "serializers only test" for Kryo (new kryo testcase created, old are unchanged)

  • set the java-built-in to "unshared mode" for fairness
  • included jboss serialization libs
  • corrected name for msgpack (was not found with old scripts)

updated wiki page (accidentally). Did not realize that github does not fork wiki with project :-) and did not realize i have write access to eishay's wiki ??

results: https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki

Let me know if there are other "full serialization libs" to add to the new test run.

-ruediger

Tatu Saloranta

Mar 7, 2014, 2:32:33 PM3/7/14
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I went ahead and merged it, sounded legitimate. Thank you for contributing, it is great to get new ideas and contributions to keep the project alive.
I'll try to check to see about full serialization: XStream for sure supports handling of cycles. Some other libs can optionally support (Jackson can produce and use Object Ids; SnakeYAML too), but maybe need bit more configuration (annotations for types).

-+ Tatu +-

Rüdiger Möller

Mar 7, 2014, 2:37:04 PM3/7/14
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that was quick :-). The new testscripts pipes the result (+some explanation per test) to 'results,txt'. We could consider removing the old script, it bugs (did not start at all, outdated serializer list).

Maybe someone of the kryo guys might want to check my "kry-serializer" addition. I just copied the basic case and set "sharedRef" to true, also skipped class registration and and used writeClassAndObject instead of writeObject. I think JBossSerialization also has an unshared mode currently not used. Only fst and kry seem to reuse streams currently .. seems like some of the libs here get less love than others ;-)

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Rüdiger Möller <moru...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, did the following changes:

  • upgraded Kryo to 2.23
  • upgraded fst to 1.40

  • added new testrunner shell script as the old one did not work for me with cygwin (adds at least a minimal explanation for each test)

  • added "serializers only test" for Kryo (new kryo testcase created, old are unchanged)

  • set the java-built-in to "unshared mode" for fairness
  • included jboss serialization libs
  • corrected name for msgpack (was not found with old scripts)

updated wiki page (accidentally). Did not realize that github does not fork wiki with project :-) and did not realize i have write access to eishay's wiki ??

results: https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki

Let me know if there are other "full serialization libs" to add to the new test run.

-ruediger

Tatu Saloranta

Mar 7, 2014, 3:56:20 PM3/7/14
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Rüdiger Möller <moru...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, that was quick :-). The new testscripts pipes the result (+some explanation per test) to 'results,txt'. We could consider removing the old script, it bugs (did not start at all, outdated serializer list).

Maybe someone of the kryo guys might want to check my "kry-serializer" addition. I just copied the basic case and set "sharedRef" to true, also skipped class registration and and used writeClassAndObject instead of writeObject. I think JBossSerialization also has an unshared mode currently not used. Only fst and kry seem to reuse streams currently .. seems like some of the libs here get less love than others ;-)

Reuse is a tricky issue as well: it is hard to balance streaming vs requires-all-content cases; some libraries (esp. for textual data formats) can easily read things incremental, where as many binary codecs require whole document to be fed in a single contiguous buffer.
Others accept byte[]; some only Readers, and finding fair comparison point can be challenging.

So it is possible that reuse aspects can also vary in subtle ways.

-+ Tatu +-