how to add new serializer to the benchmark

Pres

Feb 6, 2013, 6:17:32 PM2/6/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I created a new general purpose java object serializer centered around sun.misc.Unsafe.
How can I add a respective benchmark for it into the main stream version?

http://www.sockali.net/obser/

PS: Also, what is better for hosting that project? git-hub or Google-Code ?

Cheers,
Pres

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 6, 2013, 8:17:47 PM2/6/13
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Pres <psoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I created a new general purpose java object serializer centered around
> sun.misc.Unsafe.
> How can I add a respective benchmark for it into the main stream version?

Check out source code, make modifications similar to how other codecs
work (there are plenty).

> http://www.sockali.net/obser/
>
> PS: Also, what is better for hosting that project? git-hub or Google-Code ?

Github.

-+ Tatu +-

> Cheers,
> Pres
>
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/java-serialization-benchmarking?hl=en.

Pres

Feb 12, 2013, 3:01:19 PM2/12/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tatu,

I've got the tpc project compiled and working locally (except some aspects).
What is the next step?
Sorry, never really worked with GIT, everything seems a bit strange to me...

Regards,
Pres

On Thursday, 7 February 2013 02:17:47 UTC+1, cowtowncoder wrote:
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Pres <psoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I created a new general purpose java object serializer centered around
> sun.misc.Unsafe.
> How can I add a respective benchmark for it into the main stream version?

Check out source code, make modifications similar to how other codecs
work (there are plenty).

> http://www.sockali.net/obser/
>
> PS: Also, what is better for hosting that project? git-hub or Google-Code ?

Github.

-+ Tatu +-

> Cheers,
> Pres

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 12, 2013, 5:02:02 PM2/12/13
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Pres <psoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tatu,
>
> I've got the tpc project compiled and working locally (except some aspects).
> What is the next step?

Usually the way to do this is to fork the project (which creates your
own copy basically), do modifications, send a pull request. Then one
of maintainers can do a single-click accept to get changes to pulled
in.

Alternatively we can do manual patch, if you use 'git diff'. But
fork+pull request is the usual "github way".

-+ Tatu +-

Pressenna

Feb 12, 2013, 5:07:29 PM2/12/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I used egit to get a local copy.
Do I have to fork and publish the changes on a public git server in order to make a pull request?
If so, can we go the diff approach ?

-PSK

-+ Tatu +-

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 12, 2013, 5:09:21 PM2/12/13
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Pressenna <psoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used egit to get a local copy.
> Do I have to fork and publish the changes on a public git server in order to
> make a pull request?

Yes I think so.

> If so, can we go the diff approach ?

We can do that now sure.

-+ Tatu +-

Pres

Feb 12, 2013, 5:41:59 PM2/12/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tatu,

attached is the patch and the additional lib, which somehow was not embedded into the patch....
Let me know if you encounter any trouble.

Cheers,
Pres
>> email to java-serialization-benchmarking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> To post to this group, send email to
>> java-serialization-benchm...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/java-serialization-benchmarking?hl=en.
>>

> --
adding-obser-090.patch
obser-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 12, 2013, 9:30:10 PM2/12/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Merged patch in. Unfortunately I don't have working make on my machine
(stupid Apple requiring XCode installation), so I can't verify it
builds, but I assume it should be ok.

-+ Tatu +-

>> > --
>> > Visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/java-serialization-benchmarking?hl=en.

Pres

Feb 13, 2013, 6:04:23 AM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tatu,

attaches is an ANT build file and a launcher script.
Can you also add these to the repository?

Regards,
Pres

>> > --
>> > Visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/java-serialization-benchmarking?hl=en.
>> >

> --
tcp-build-scripts.zip

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 13, 2013, 12:45:02 PM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
We used to have something else earlier, and then it was converted to
Make due to preferences of author (I forget which of us it was). So I
think I would like to defer this to others.
As to launcher, there is already 'run' isn't there?

-+ Tatu +-

>> > --
>> > Visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/java-serialization-benchmarking?hl=en.

Pressenna

Feb 13, 2013, 1:14:51 PM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
the run command also depends on make to generate the classpath, which was causing me endless troubles until i figured it out.
hence these launchers, which do nothing but call the ant script to execute java with the correct parameters.

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 13, 2013, 1:21:01 PM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Ah ok.

How do others feel about this? I am not big fan of Make, but at the
same time having 2 build systems can be problematic as well, unless
both are being maintained.

-+ Tatu +-

Kannan Goundan

Feb 13, 2013, 5:55:16 PM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I added the Makefile ~3 years ago because the existing Ant-based build
didn't run the code generation steps and things like that are much
easier to do in Make than in Ant. Ant doesn't even really do
dependencies.

I agree that something in Java would be more convenient (we could even
include the .jar file in the repo). I'd be fine with switching out
the build as long as we don't lose the nice features of the current
Makefile (code generation, only rebuilding the stuff that has
changed).

I wonder if SBT is a good option (we already include the Scala jars in
the repo).

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 13, 2013, 6:18:14 PM2/13/13
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Kannan Goundan <kan...@cakoose.com> wrote:
> I added the Makefile ~3 years ago because the existing Ant-based build
> didn't run the code generation steps and things like that are much
> easier to do in Make than in Ant. Ant doesn't even really do
> dependencies.
>
> I agree that something in Java would be more convenient (we could even
> include the .jar file in the repo). I'd be fine with switching out
> the build as long as we don't lose the nice features of the current
> Makefile (code generation, only rebuilding the stuff that has
> changed).
>
> I wonder if SBT is a good option (we already include the Scala jars in
> the repo).

I am skeptical of using anything related to Scala, due to performance
issues (slow).
Ant is not great, but might work. Maven is usually good for project,
but in this particular case (with experimental versions, somewhat more
complex build) may not be good fit.

-+ Tatu +-

Sam Pullara

Feb 13, 2013, 6:20:18 PM2/13/13
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I'd figure out if you can easily switch to Maven and don't even consider SBT. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Sam

James Northrup

Feb 4, 2016, 8:03:30 AM2/4/16
to java-serialization-benchmarking
3 years almost to the week sicne the topic was active...  it might be easy with the maven pr i submitted.