Added msgpack codec

Tatu Saloranta

Jun 7, 2011, 8:03:15 PM6/7/11
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Ok, after fighting with lack of documentation and odd crashes with
msgpack, I managed to get codec to work.
So it might make sense to re-run test suite to get results for couple
of more backends (at least gson/streaming and msgpack are new).

-+ Tatu +-

David Yu

Jun 11, 2011, 12:49:26 AM6/11/11
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
Got exceptions trying to run.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javassist/ClassPath
at org.msgpack.template.builder.BuilderSelectorRegistry.initForJava(BuilderSelectorRegistry.java:58)
at org.msgpack.template.builder.BuilderSelectorRegistry.<clinit>(BuilderSelectorRegistry.java:38)
at org.msgpack.template.TemplateRegistry.<clinit>(TemplateRegistry.java:38)
at org.msgpack.MessagePack.register(MessagePack.java:149)
at serializers.MsgPack.register(MsgPack.java:22)
at serializers.BenchmarkRunner.main(BenchmarkRunner.java:263)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javassist.ClassPath
... 6 more

Cheers

-+ Tatu +-

When the cat is away, the mouse is alone.
- David Yu

Blair Zajac

Jun 12, 2011, 2:28:49 AM6/12/11
On Jun 10, 2011, at 9:49 PM, David Yu wrote:

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Tatu Saloranta <tsalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, after fighting with lack of documentation and odd crashes with
msgpack, I managed to get codec to work.
So it might make sense to re-run test suite to get results for couple
of more backends (at least gson/streaming and msgpack are new).
Got exceptions trying to run.

Does anyone have any initial numbers, at least msgpack relative to some of the other popular ones?

Blair

Tatu Saloranta

Jun 12, 2011, 2:27:40 PM6/12/11
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I need to check if I include other libs locally first, to see why
David had problems.

Numbers I saw indicated msgpack was bit slower than protobuf, about
same as Thrift (maybe slightly faster).
This is better than last I checked 4 months ago, when msgpack was
actually slower than other binary codecs.

There are faster options like Kryo, and various codecs Protostuff
provides, so speed does not seem to be a strong reason to use msgpack;
although like many codecs (json, avro, fastest xml codecs also
qualify) it is certainly fast enough for most use cases.

-+ Tatu +-

Tatu Saloranta

Jun 16, 2011, 11:39:59 AM6/16/11
to java-serializat...@googlegroups.com
I added javassist library so it should now be possible to run msgpack
test case too.

-+ Tatu +-