PreciseRaceDetector raises false alarms

Eliot

Mar 22, 2023, 9:41:40 PM3/22/23
to Java™ Pathfinder
Many thanks to JPF tool and its contributors! During my usage of JPF, I found that PreciseRaceDetector raises false alarms sometimes. I give an example and some detailed analysis in a github issue (PreciseRaceDetector raises false alarms in case of array fields). Can anyone help me double check that? Thanks.

Cyrille Artho

Mar 25, 2023, 12:56:42 PM3/25/23
to Java™ Pathfinder
Thanks, this really looks like a bug. You also provided a very thorough analysis. Have you tested your patch with a version of your example that still has a data race (see my comment to the issue)?

Eliot

Mar 26, 2023, 12:04:26 AM3/26/23
to Java™ Pathfinder
Thanks for your suggestions! I did forget to show the true positive case.
I have submitted a PR on github with unit tests added (Fix PreciseRaceDetector false alarms).
I'd appreciate it if you could take another look at it :D