Are SL4J + ObjectMapper really necessary?

Jakob Jenkov

Dec 5, 2011, 5:46:12 AM12/5/11
to Java client for Apple Push Notification service (APNs)
Hi,

I've tried to use Java APNS today, but noticed two external
dependencies that prevented me from building the source.
Are these two external dependencies really necessary in an API of
approximately 20-23 classes?

I can see that I'll have to build the code with Maven, but my project
does not use Maven. It is a bit annoying to have
to install Maven just to get automatic dependency management, and be
able to build the project, because of two
minor external dependencies.

Regards,

Jakob Jenkov

Mahmood Ali

Dec 13, 2011, 8:58:02 PM12/13/11
to java-apn...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Jakob,

While I try to be very judicious of depending on libraries, jackson
and sl4j provide a significant value. Jackson is a popular and very
performant json library that I can trust to handle the json encoding
well along with any potential quirk (e.g. escaping, encoding, etc) and
slf4j provide a great interface for logging. I might buy an argument
for moving to j.u.logging instead of slf4j, but I would like to keep
the jackson dependency unless we can guarantee a solid correct json
serialization.

Please note that you can also just use the binary releases from the
Maven repository without building it yourself from source. You don't
need to use Maven in your project to use java-apns. Also, if you
aren't using PayloadBuilder, the jackson dependency is optional
actually.

Finally, feel free to submit a pull requests to eliminate these
dependencies if you are so inclined.

Regards,
Mahmood