Posting / scheduling the articles for the 2015 java advent

Assigned to olimp...@gmail.com by me

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Oct 29, 2015, 9:21:21 AM10/29/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Hello all,

Sorry for the delay in answering emails, I had a little free-time-crisis :-). Anyway, the wordpress instance to host JavaAdvent is set up and you can (almost) start writing your posts!

Steps to follow:

Once you have "Editor" status:

  • Go to Posts -> Add new ("1" in the below screenshot)
  • Complete the title (you can change this later)
  • Set the "Scheduled for" date to 1 AM of the day you want to post on ("2" in the below screenshot)
  • Write your article

You can write your article using the visual editor, using HTML (in Text) or using Markdown (in Text). Do watch out for the fact that if you write your article in markdown, the only way to preview it is to "publishing" it and clicking the "View Post" button. Don't fret! "Publishing" it won't actually publish it if you have a "Scheduled for" date set, so you can Publish / Update as many times as you need.

There is also a proofreading service offered by Wordpress ("3" in the below screenshot), feel free to use it and accept / ignore its advices as you see fit.

Please let me know if you encounter any difficulties and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Attila

gsze...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2015, 11:30:52 AM11/24/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Hi there,

This message is just to remind you that I already subscribed!! I'm looking forward to be promoted as you promised :P

Cheers!

Deven Phillips

Nov 25, 2015, 8:40:58 PM11/25/15
to Java Advent Coordination
My profile is created as JUGGLou (Java Users Group of Greater Louisville)

Mani Sarkar

Nov 30, 2015, 8:40:42 AM11/30/15
to Deven Phillips, Java Advent Coordination

Thanks Attila.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 01:40 Deven Phillips <deven.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
My profile is created as JUGGLou (Java Users Group of Greater Louisville)

Federico Tomassetti

Dec 1, 2015, 9:35:50 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, deven.p...@gmail.com
The website seems down:

On Monday, 30 November 2015 14:40:42 UTC+1, sadhak001 wrote:

Thanks Attila.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 01:40 Deven Phillips <deven.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
My profile is created as JUGGLou (Java Users Group of Greater Louisville)

Deven Phillips

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 10:22:15 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, deven.p...@gmail.com
Seems that the website is up but the wp-login.php script fails when we try to login.

I have to finish my article. It is scheduled for 2nd Dec (tomorrow). If I can't login, a darft will be published. The end of the version saved there is still incomplete...

Need help! :)

Thx,

Daniel

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 10:29:12 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, deven.p...@gmail.com
What has been changed since tomorrow? Something must have been changed.

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 10:36:21 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, deven.p...@gmail.com
I meant since yesterday :-)

Deven Phillips

Dec 1, 2015, 10:36:23 AM12/1/15
to Daniel Dietrich, Java Advent Coordination
Uhm... The number of users hitting the site? It's Dec. 1st, so the first article is supposed to be on-line and promoted.

Deven

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 11:38:24 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, cafe...@googlemail.com
No, definitely not the number of users hitting the site.

When I open some fresh browser with a clean state (never logged in into WP of javaadvent.com) all works fine! The site shows up as normal.

When press the "Log in" buttom on the end of the site, the error which was described before appears.

When I open a browser, where I have logged in into the javaadvent.com WP site before, the error shows up immediately. I think my login is stored somewhere (in a cookie?) and when I visit the site, the login is performed automatically.

We know that the error is "Error establishing a database connection". It appears within the wp-content.php.

So I would now

1) If the database is up and reachable

2) The connection parameters are correct

3) check, if the wp-content.php was changed recently

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 11:41:34 AM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, cafe...@googlemail.com
Maybe a different database is used for authentication than for storing the content, because the articles show up correctly for non-logged in users.

Also the error might appear in a plugin. For example I log-in with my github account. But I think this is not the error source because the site does not show up where I'm asked how I want to log in (via Github, Wordpress, Facebook, etc.)

Alexander Turner

Dec 1, 2015, 12:38:32 PM12/1/15
to Daniel Dietrich, Java Advent Coordination
Hi,

You cannot comment on the site, even without a loggin.

I suspect the db has crashed or the number of transactions on the db has hit some limit.

- AJ

Dr Alexander J Turner
+44 (0) 7403 471211
Skype: nerds-central

On 1 December 2015 at 16:41, Daniel Dietrich <cafe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Maybe a different database is used for authentication than for storing the content, because the articles show up correctly for non-logged in users.

Also the error might appear in a plugin. For example I log-in with my github account. But I think this is not the error source because the site does not show up where I'm asked how I want to log in (via Github, Wordpress, Facebook, etc.)

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 1, 2015, 6:13:30 PM12/1/15
to Java Advent Coordination, cafe...@googlemail.com
ok, I think I can't avoid that the scheduled draft version of my article is published.
The version stored in WP is half done.
I hadn't the chance to upload the final version because of the login problem.

I will publish the final version simultaneously on my blog.
As soon as the login to javaadvent.com is working again I will fix the draft version.

Hope that's ok for all!

Cheers,

Daniel

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 2, 2015, 2:59:18 AM12/2/15
to Java Advent Coordination, cafe...@googlemail.com
It is all fine now, thank you! I finalized the article just in time.

Daniel

Alexander Turner

Dec 2, 2015, 3:06:45 AM12/2/15
to Daniel Dietrich, Java Advent Coordination
Great post!

Dr Alexander J Turner
+44 (0) 7403 471211
Skype: nerds-central

On 2 December 2015 at 07:59, Daniel Dietrich <cafe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
It is all fine now, thank you! I finalized the article just in time.

Daniel

Daniel Dietrich

Dec 2, 2015, 3:09:00 AM12/2/15
to Java Advent Coordination, cafe...@googlemail.com
Thx!

Federico Tomassetti

Dec 2, 2015, 4:09:26 AM12/2/15
to Deven Phillips, Java Advent Coordination
I can login now but trying to access the profile page or creating a new post (http://www.javaadvent.com/post-new.php) show me the error "Page not found"

Federico

Lakshmi H.M

Dec 2, 2015, 5:42:18 AM12/2/15
to Java Advent Coordination
HI,

Could you please give me the editor status, my username is lakshmihm
My article is scheduled for 4th December

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Olimpiu POP

Dec 2, 2015, 7:11:57 AM12/2/15
to Lakshmi H.M, Java Advent Coordination
Hello,

done. Please recheck if everything is OK, now.

Regards,

Olimpiu

Mizanur Rahman Khan

Dec 2, 2015, 10:57:49 AM12/2/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Hi,
my article is scheduled for december 11. I have created my profile as khanmizan, it is late but would i get editor status to write my article?

Olimpiu POP

Dec 2, 2015, 11:02:06 AM12/2/15
to Mizanur Rahman Khan, Java Advent Coordination
Done, enjoy!

Shannon Lal

Dec 5, 2015, 10:55:38 PM12/5/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Attila,
I created my account last week but don't seem to have Editor privileges yet so I can add my post.  If you are able to update this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sahnnon

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Dec 6, 2015, 4:13:28 AM12/6/15
to Shannon Lal, Java Advent Coordination
Done.

Cheers,
Attila

Holger Steinhauer

Dec 14, 2015, 3:38:23 PM12/14/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Hi there. I was wondering who is writing the author pages? I filled my profile already and would love to have a page too :) Let me know if something is missing.

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Dec 30, 2015, 5:50:57 AM12/30/15
to Java Advent Coordination
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. The author pages are generated from the data introduced by yourself on the profile page (http://www.javaadvent.com/wp-admin/profile.php) but is not visible until you have at least one article published.

Cheers,
Attila

PS. The profile doesn't support markdown (nor other formatting as far as I'm aware) unfortunately.

Heather VanCura

Nov 20, 2018, 4:57:48 AM11/20/18
to Java Advent Coordination
Wordpress is giving errors for both twitter and google sign up process .

sadhak001

Dec 2, 2018, 3:52:40 PM12/2/18
to Java Advent Coordination
Olimpiu / Atthila - any way this can be fixed in wordpress or can you manually post the article for Heather?

olimpiu pop

Dec 2, 2018, 3:57:08 PM12/2/18
to sadhak001, Java Advent Coordination
The situation was already clarified. Heather's article is already scheduled.