Deployment link issue

Danielle Gershman

Jan 25, 2021, 2:36:30 PM1/25/21
to JATOS
Hello!

I'm running into an issue when it comes to deploying my study. I'm using ngrok to have my server open online (I'm a grad student and that was a workable free option), and after getting that set up, I've gotten feedback that the worker link I sent would lead to an error page. This page says the "tunnel is not found", despite how I leave the computer/server on at all times. Is this an ngrok issue, or is this an issue of JATOS timing out of my log in session? This server is in my research lab so I don't have access to it overnight and during weekends, in turn I can't always log myself back into the JATOS server/webpage. I appreciate any and all help, or just a lead in the right direction.

Thank you!

Kristian Lange

Jan 25, 2021, 4:03:46 PM1/25/21
to JATOS
Hi!

"tunnel not found" sounds like a ngrok or network issue - not a JATOS issue. I'm also not a ngrok expert. But to clearify the issue: Can some of your participants run your experiment on JATOS and other cannot - or is it that no one can run it?

"JATOS timing out of my log in session" is no problem. This is just your user automatically logged out after some time for security reasons. But it does not affect the ability of participants running your experiment. No user has to be logged in for participants to be able to run experiments.

Anther thought: if your university has static public IP addresses (many universities have) then you  might be able to use this IP to distribute your experiment links.

Best,
Kristian

Danielle Gershman

Jan 25, 2021, 4:24:45 PM1/25/21
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kristian,

To answer your question about participants running experiments, the only time I've had the study be able to run is if I ran it locally myself from the server. I have yet to get a link that I sent to someone to work.

I appreciate your feedback, it's all very helpful! I have the laptop I'm using as my server set up to the university's wifi, and I sent out the links through that laptop, so I assume it's on a static IP address? But that's only just a guess.

Thank you!
Danielle

Kristian Lange

Jan 26, 2021, 3:46:28 PM1/26/21
to JATOS
Hi Danielle,

So this ngrok tunnel never worked so far. Hm. What is the output of ngrok when you start it? And have you tried the other tunneling services, localhost.run and Serveo from the docs: http://www.jatos.org/Expose-your-local-JATOS.html?

And about your university's IP: if you get it via wifi chances are low that it is a public and static IP address. Wifi routers usually hand out private IPs.

Best,
Kristian