Prolific ID in URL parameters

Giulia Melis

Mar 30, 2023, 9:41:56 AM3/30/23
to JATOS
Hello,
I have created a studio using Labjs and imported it into JATOS. I then use Prolific and would like to pass the Prolific IDs of my participants automatically to JATOS. So I followed the procedure by entering the JATOS link in prolific and passing Prolific URL parameters to my study.
However, I cannot understand the next step, which is when it is specified that
I can access those URL parameters in your study's JavaScript via jatos.urlQueryParameters.

Do I have to do something or will the prolific ID be displayed in the first result line (in url{ }) once I start collecting data?

Thanks

elisa.f...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2023, 2:36:30 AM3/31/23
to JATOS
Hi,

It sounds like you just want to record the prolific ID in your result data (it will be recorded as metadata, automatically by JATOS). But you don't want to do anything with it in the course of the experiment. I mean, you don't want to use it within your experimental program.
If that's true, you can ignore that part about using the URL parameters. All you need to do is add the link to the study in prolific (point 1. in the documentation page) and add the redirect link in the JATOS GUI (point 3.1 in the documentation). I haven't used JATOS with prolific myself, so please do try it out. But that should work.

Best

*we'll update the docs, the page is admittedly not so clear

Elisa Filevich

Mar 31, 2023, 2:41:23 AM3/31/23
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just noticed that prolific changed its webpage. Please make sure you select "I'll use URL parameters" when you set up your study. Even if you won't use them personally, JATOS should be able to access them.

Giulia Melis

Mar 31, 2023, 5:30:35 PM3/31/23
to JATOS
Thank you for your reply.
Exactly, I just want to register the prolific ID.
Ok then the procedure is all clear.
The sentence "Then you can access those URL parameters in your study's JavaScript via jatos.urlQueryParameters." in point 2 left me in doubt because I thought I had to do something else but I didn't know what and how.

Thank you very much

Giulia Melis

Apr 7, 2023, 4:58:15 PM4/7/23
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I followed the instruction in Prolific and JATOS, and, as you suggested I did some tests to see if everything was working properly
After following the procedure and copying and pasting my link into prolific and ticking the option 'I will use the URL' (see img bellow), what I wanted to do was to see if JATOS actually record the Prolific ID in the results file.

image.png

Since the experiment is still in Preview in Prolific, what we have done here, is manually populate the URL parameters, just like Prolific will do automatically once running the experiment.

https://www.fakelink.com/publix/YMktbYiRAuW?PROLIFIC_PID=A3&STUDY_ID=A3&SESSION_ID=A3

So if I use this link, the value “A3” should appear 3 times in the data file. However, if I try to look at the results, no column with the prolific ID, study_ID or SESSION_ID appears.

So my question is, why can't I see the three A3 data or even the columns (even empty ones) of prolific id etc.?

Am I making a mistake, or is there something wrong?

I hope you can help me,
thank you for your work and your time

Giulia

Privo di virus.www.avast.com

--
Giulia Melis

Elisa Filevich

Apr 7, 2023, 5:06:17 PM4/7/23
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giulia,

So my question is, why can't I see the three A3 data or even the columns (even empty ones) of prolific id etc.?

What you did in prolific is to include this information in the link that JATOS reads. This means that the information is in principle available for your JavaScript to read. But you haven't read it in.

To access (and then save) these parameters, you'll have to use the following in your JavaScript code.

jatos.urlQueryParameters.prolific_ID
jatos.urlQueryParameters.study_ID
jatos.urlQueryParameters.session_ID

More details here:

You said you used Lab.js, so you'll have to ask them how to include these in your code, if you don't know already (I've never used lab.js so I don't know)

Hope this helps
Best
Elisa