Weather

Arjun Ramdhan

May 12, 2020, 10:25:56 AM5/12/20
to Jasper Support Forum
When I type my location in. It’s says it cannot he found how could I set this up. I live in London outside of America.

Thanks

Ned McNeil

May 12, 2020, 2:28:37 PM5/12/20
to Jasper Support Forum
best i can tell (my recent setup also failed to have a working weather setup -- i live in Louisville KY, inside America) the WeatherUnderground API that jasper interacts with was updated sometime in the past so the way Jasper asks for the weather info is not longer compatible with the source for the info...

i was vaguely interested in rewriting a weather app that uses the NWS (the american National Weather Service) API because it's an API i've worked with before, but i've since lost most of my interest.

i'd love to hear if anyone's updated the existing weather module to work again, or at least confirm it is an outdated API like i'm thinking.

Adam Peacock

May 12, 2020, 2:57:10 PM5/12/20
to Jasper Support Forum
The API is deprecated but there is a work-around outlined below. FYI I'm actively working on refactoring this project to use Python3 and have a working tutorial and working IMG file if that is of interest to anyone: https://github.com/aplawson/jasperbuster

You can use the code for London (which should work) found in the following link:

Code: "Europe/London" (without quotes)

Part of the Python3 refactoring effort will of course be to fix the timezone issue that is talking to an API that is not responding or responding as expected. But you can reference the timezone manually using the procedure above. This should get you going though.

//adam