TF Smad2::Smad3::Smad4

宋晨龙

Jan 16, 2021, 5:35:52 AM1/16/21
to JASPAR Q&A Forum
What does "::" mean in human transcriptional factor Smad2::Smad3::Smad4?

Does the binding motif represent the common possible binding sequences of Smad2 or Smad3 or Smad4 independently?

Or does Smad2::Smad3::Smad4  represent a complex that needs to work together so they could bind to DNA and exert functions of TF?

Could I use Smad2/3 ChIP-level antibody to detect the possible binding sites in the promoter region of interested genes using the binding motif of Smad2::Smad3::Smad4?

Why doesn't there exist the individual TF Smad2 or Smad3 or Smad4?

Thanks very much for your answers.

Jaime Castro-Mondragon

Jan 18, 2021, 3:47:49 AM1/18/21
to JASPAR Q&A Forum
Hi

In JASPAR we use '::' to denote TF complexes (dimers, trimers).

In this case, the Smad2::Smad3::Smad4 motif corresponds to the motif recognized by the complex, a Smad trimer. However, the motif corresponding to Smad3 looks very similar.

Could I use Smad2/3 ChIP-level antibody to detect the possible binding sites in the promoter region of interested genes using the binding motif of Smad2::Smad3::Smad4?

I would use all the Smad motifs (monomers, dimer, trimer)

Why doesn't there exist the individual TF Smad2 or Smad3 or Smad4?

Probably there is no a dedicated experiment for these TFs, so far. Other possibility is that they do not bind DNA alone.

Jaime