scan for motifs in TFBS

Melanie Fattohi

Apr 4, 2024, 9:59:23 AMApr 4
to JASPAR Q&A Forum
Hi,

i have a FASTA file with promoter sequences of genes of interest. How can I use JASPAR to download motifs of transcription factors (TFs) of interest which I then scan for in the promoter sequences?
I prefer usage over the command line but I am also fine with doing this on the web interface.
Does JASPAR offer motif scanning? Or can I just download the PWM of motifs of TFs of interest and do the scanning with another tool, e.g. FIMO?

Thank you for any answer!

Anthony Mathelier

Apr 9, 2024, 4:36:33 AMApr 9
to JASPAR Q&A Forum
Hi.

Thanks for your interest in JASPAR.

If you have the genomic coordinates of your promoter sequences, you can use our TFBS extraction tool to extract TFBSs in these regions (https://jaspar.elixir.no/tfbs_extraction/). Another way I would suggest is to do the same but using our UniBind TFBSs (https://unibind.uio.no/TFBS_extraction/), which are of higher quality as they combine experimental (ChIP-seq) and computational (JASPAR PWMs) evidence of direct TF-DNA interactions.

If you only have the FASTA sequences, you can scan JASPAR motifs using the Biopython module or the Bioconductor TFBSTools package (https://jaspar.elixir.no/tools/).

Best