Sail plan for Jason 35

Bill Roberts

Oct 27, 2017, 11:51:15 AM10/27/17
to Jason 35 Sailboats
Hi, I am looking for a copy of the sail plan with the mast in the original position. I have recently purchased the plans from Ted Brewer but that drawing is temporarily unavailable. I have his permission to get a copy made and he is willing to email permission to the printer if they need that before they will copy it. I will of course pay all costs and shipping.
Thanks, Bill
Message has been deleted

Alan

Nov 6, 2017, 2:16:56 AM11/6/17
to Jason 35 Sailboats

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 11:09:08 PM UTC-8, Alan wrote:

All the original owners were given an abbreviated set of plans that included the sailplan you are looking for. I got rid of my copy years ago, because I stepped my mast in the recommended forward position and that sailplan no longer applied.

I assume that you have a copy of the magazine article. It shows the sail plan in low resolution, but it should be good enough for a sailmaker to work from. Just in case you do not have that, I have attached a copy. It might be useful.

I would not recommend sails built from that plan. If your mast is in the original position, you will have serious weather helm. I sailed on a boat configured like that. It was no fun. You will probably want to shorten the foot of the main at a minimum. Most who have the original mast position have also opted to add a short bow sprit.

Good luck, in any case.

Alan

Nov 6, 2017, 2:55:32 AM11/6/17
to Jason 35 Sailboats
Here is the sailplan page from the magazine article.

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 8:51:15 AM UTC-7, Bill Roberts wrote:
jason-sail-plan.JPG

Bill Roberts

Nov 6, 2017, 11:19:50 PM11/6/17
to jason-35-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,
Thanks, I do have a low res copy of the sail plan but I was looking for more detail. I'm not intending to have sails made from that plan but to compare it to the sails I currently have and the revised plan to see what I can do to rectify the helm issue. I emailed Ted about this and he suggested having the main sail recut flatter rather than the expense of adding a bowsprit however I don't think that will be enough though I'm willing to give it a try. I have two mains, the one I use has a shorter foot than the original, it's about 11'.
Thanks also for the info on the rudder heel, that's another issue that has concerned me. Mine has a hairline crack that hasn't got noticeably bigger for the time I've owned the boat. But I do wonder about it.
Bill

Alan

Nov 6, 2017, 11:51:30 PM11/6/17
to Jason 35 Sailboats
Bill,
The shorter foot on the main and reefing early as the wind comes up might do the trick. On Norwegian Steam, I have a non-standard rig that does pretty much what it is supposed to. Slight lee helm in light air, sails itself to windward in 10 - 15 knots, needs to be reefed after that. My mast is 6' taller than Ted's design, and my boom is shorter.
Alan

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 11:55 PM Alan  wrote:
Here is the sailplan page from the magazine article.

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 8:51:15 AM UTC-7, Bill Roberts wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a copy of the sail plan with the mast in the original position. I have recently purchased the plans from Ted Brewer but that drawing is temporarily unavailable. I have his permission to get a copy made and he is willing to email permission to the printer if they need that before they will copy it. I will of course pay all costs and shipping.
Thanks, Bill

Alan

Nov 6, 2017, 11:53:21 PM11/6/17
to Jason 35 Sailboats