Update > Jasig Sakai Merger and Membership Vote

Josh Baron

Apr 25, 2012, 5:48:28 PM4/25/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com
Community Members,

I would like to update everyone now that a few weeks has passed since we posted the most recent set of documentation related to the proposed merger.

Our latest release of documentation on April 2nd has resulted in renewed attention to the plans and a number of comprehensive list postings sharing both concern and support for the merger as well as posing new and important questions. Although more public discussion and debate around the proposal and documents would be most welcome, we appreciate the time and effort people have taken to engage over the past few weeks.

The Joint Working Group  (which includes the members of the Founding Board), as well as the separate Sakai and Jasig Boards, have all recently held regular meetings at which the our community dialog was discussed and some of the important questions being raised were reviewed. Based on these discussions, there is a collective feeling that it is important that the Joint Working Group work develop and release additional information that will hopefully clarify issues and help answer some of the recent questions. In particular, we are working to develop additional financial analysis reports and feel it would be useful to also release a draft initial budget and staffing plan (which would be contingent on the full Apereo Board's approval if the merger was approved).

In order to develop and release these additional materials, the we have scheduled two 5-hour working sessions, the first of which was held today, with the goal of posting additional materials the week of May 7th. As a result of this timeline, we have also decided that we need to push out the dates for our membership vote which we have now scheduled to begin on Monday, May 21st and conclude on Monday, June 4th.  We have scheduled this somewhat extended voting period, in part, because Monday, May 28th is a national holiday in the United States and we anticipate some will be away that week on vacation.

Finally, as we had previously noted, we will be scheduling two webinars for the week of May 14th to allow for more direct discussion of the merger with community members.  Details on how to register for these will be posted in the next day or two.  We are selecting times that will hopefully accommodate a range of time zones but if we need to schedule additional sessions we will do so.

We hope that the discussions will continue as we work on the release of these additional materials.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College