A question about the Transitional Fee Structure

Sid Baldwin

Oct 10, 2012, 6:39:08 AM10/10/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com
I have seen the Organization Membership Fee Structure during Transitional Period but have not spotted any reference to the expected duration of this Transitional Period, nor of a likely fee structure post-transition. Consequently I am presuming that there will eventually be a single ongoing fee structure for all Members.

Whilst I am in a position to encourage my organisation to pay the current annual Jasig Membership fees and subsequently the Transitional Fee for Exisiting Jasig Members, I am certain that, given the current financial climate, I would not manage to source the fee for New Apereo Members, and we would therefore have to forego our membership at some point.

Is this a reasonable interpretation, or is the inention to have an ongoing differentiation of fees for existing Jasig and Sakai members?

Thanks

David Ackerman

Oct 10, 2012, 8:26:31 AM10/10/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com, sid.b...@gmail.com
Sid:

This will be a question for the Apereo Board assuming the merger happens.  I will take this as a request to not have your fee increase!

Regards,
David

Josh Baron

Oct 10, 2012, 10:50:23 AM10/10/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com, sid.b...@gmail.com
Sid,

I'll just add that decisions around the structure that will be implemented "post-transition" (which I think is a couple of years, not months) will be heavily influenced by input from our members. Those who have been working on these plans very much recognize the financial challenges that higher education is and will likely continue to face and any changes in the fees will need to be justified with regards to the value our members are receiving from the Foundation.

Josh

-----------------------------
Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron

John Gohsman

Oct 10, 2012, 8:44:02 PM10/10/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com
A related question on the fees.  The column indicates organizational budget.  For those of us with a large health system, is the expectation that we would include their operational budget in our calculation or exclude it?

David Ackerman

Oct 10, 2012, 8:55:31 PM10/10/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a gentleperson's system.  Does your Med School use Sakai?  Mine does, so I would include it.
This is my personal opinion, an NYU person, not Sakai Chair or Apereo Founding Board opinion.

Founding Board opinion: remains to be discussed, and we would like and value your input.

John Gohsman

Oct 11, 2012, 8:00:36 AM10/11/12
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com
The Health System (Hospitals and Med School) can be separated budget-wise and the Hospitals are nearly half of our overall budget.  If there are users in the Hospitals, it would be pedestrian at best and not for educational or research purposes.  In any case, I think the guidance from the board should be more clear and specific.  Based on your response, it sounds like this won't be clear until after the vote which is fine.