[cas-user] id vs. login

Lars Feistner

Jan 19, 2022, 5:18:50 AM1/19/22
to CAS Community
Hi everybody,
we recently switched from version 5.x to 6.4.4.2. In version 5 we used the setting
cas.personDirectory.principalAttribute=id
to switch the id of the UserProfil to be the id and not the login.

Now in version 6.4.4.2 I used the same setting cas.person-directory.principal-attribute=id but after login in the web view I see the login instead of the id.

Is this a bug in 6.4.42 or did I use the wrong setting to do this or what do I have to do to switch the principal id from login to id?

Thank you,
Lars

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Sam Hough

Feb 2, 2022, 4:53:13 AM2/2/22
to CAS Community, Lars Feistner
Hi,

I think I might have hit this too in 6.5.0-RC2. After some debugging it looks like the original principal and the new one are hitting the ChainingPrincipalElectionStrategy::nominate method and the one we want (that honours principal-attribute) is losing to the "original". I need to do more debugging if I can see how to change this behaviour.

Did you get anywhere?

Cheers

Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/a54f1925-37a4-4cf2-a46b-4a6aba3a4c1en%40apereo.org.

Lars Feistner

Feb 2, 2022, 8:03:38 AM2/2/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hi Sam,

unfortunately I first wanted to see if anyone has some insights before digging deeper into the code.

Did it work for you in any other 6.x release or are you as well upgrading from 5 to 6? If first then I could try and find out which version breaks the "feature" and then we could look at the code changes there were made between the changes.

But I actually still hope the someone will tell us if this setting was originally meant to change the id of the principal or not.

Best regards,
Lars
--
Lars Feistner
Entwicklungsleitung

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG
---

Sam Hough

Feb 2, 2022, 8:13:44 AM2/2/22
to CAS Community, Lars Feistner
Hi Lars,

I'm afraid I've only found this in 6.0-RC2. I think I've got stable-ish automated tests so I might try a binary search on the version it changed so there might be some clue as to the intent.

I think I'm in a similar position to you now. cas.personDirectory.principalResolutionConflictStrategy=first seems to "fix" the issue but more of a workaround. I've no clue if the "original" principal should be in the list and if it is if the change in order is a feature or a bug... or something else.

I'll report back if I get any further.

Cheers

Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/9d06bba7-6f27-492a-b695-c0e755e4528dn%40apereo.org.