Default Theme Needed for New Open Source CMS

Nick Ramsay

Jan 17, 2010, 12:49:37 AM1/17/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
As you know, I've been building a new Open Source CMS called "Hotaru"
which I'll eventually move JapanSoc.com to.

Hotaru is a cross between Wordpress and Pligg. It uses a similar theme
and plugin system to Wordpress, and a suite of social bookmarking
plugins to mimic Pligg. However, unlike those two CMSs, Hotaru is
totally customizable because nearly *everything* is a plugin,
including user registration, comment management and post submission.
So you can just replace or remove stuff to suit your needs.

Help Wanted
-------------------
Since I'm in Japan, I'm very interested in getting more Japan-based
web developers and designers involved. So far, there are three of us
from Japan involved in development: @matigo, @shibuya246 and myself.
@gakuranman designed the Hotaru logo, and I noticed @chrisgaunt and
@chottom1 have joined the forums.

What Hotaru is currently lacking is a quality default theme to replace
the crappy one I did myself (see the demo at http://demo.hotarucms.org
) but since this is an open source project, we don't have any money to
get a proper one done. Now, I'm not asking for money. Instead, I'm
hoping you'll be tempted by a link in the default theme's footer. If
you are well-versed in Wordpress themes, JQuery, cross-browser
compatibility and have an amazing eye for good design, this would be a
good opportunity to promote your own design services and establish
yourself in a new niche early on.

Otherwise, if you can foot the bill to hire a professional theme
designer in exchange for a link in the default theme's footer, that's
a possibility.

On a different note, is there anyone here experienced in programming
for Japanese character set compatibility, and interested in Open
Source?

If you're interested, please reply or contact me directly so we can
talk more.

Nick Ramsay
ad...@hotarucms.org
http://hotarucms.org

Michael

Jan 17, 2010, 6:55:43 PM1/17/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
Hi Nick,

I'm interested in this project and would love to help out advising on
design elements and creating graphics. While I have the ability to
look at and manipulate HTML/CSS and a little bit of jquery, I am by no
means a programmer like Chris and the others, so I'm afraid I can't
help in the build.

Design-wise, keep me in the loop if I can help out in any way :)

-Michael

On Jan 17, 2:49 pm, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> As you know, I've been building a new Open Source CMS called "Hotaru"
> which I'll eventually move JapanSoc.com to.
>
> Hotaru is a cross between Wordpress and Pligg. It uses a similar theme
> and plugin system to Wordpress, and a suite of social bookmarking
> plugins to mimic Pligg. However, unlike those two CMSs, Hotaru is
> totally customizable because nearly *everything* is a plugin,
> including user registration, comment management and post submission.
> So you can just replace or remove stuff to suit your needs.
>
> Help Wanted
> -------------------
> Since I'm in Japan, I'm very interested in getting more Japan-based
> web developers and designers involved. So far, there are three of us
> from Japan involved in development: @matigo, @shibuya246 and myself.
> @gakuranman designed the Hotaru logo, and I noticed @chrisgaunt and
> @chottom1 have joined the forums.
>
> What Hotaru is currently lacking is a quality default theme to replace

> the crappy one I did myself (see the demo athttp://demo.hotarucms.org

Nick Ramsay

Jan 17, 2010, 11:09:44 PM1/17/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
Cheers Michael. I'll keep you in the loop. Thanks again for that logo
by the way, it was perfect! :-D

chottom

Jan 24, 2010, 10:41:22 PM1/24/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
Hi Nick

I joined Hotaru mainly to learn some PHP (I also almost do not have
experience with CSS).

I promise though to ask an online friend (professional web designer)
how much will cost the design of a theme for something like personal
webpage (hopefully he can give me some symbolic price but I can't
promise anything).

One day I may write a plugin for hotaru though - I liked very much
your explanation on "how to write plugins"

Cheers

chottom

Nick Ramsay

Jan 25, 2010, 5:05:29 AM1/25/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
Hey chottom, I'm interested to know how much your friend quotes.

Feel free to post any PHP questions in those forums. They don't have
to be specific to Hotaru. I find PHP loads of fun, and much easier
than CSS, jQuery and all that mumbo-jumbo! :-D

Cheers,
Nick.

chottom

Jan 25, 2010, 11:21:44 AM1/25/10
to JapanSoc Bloggers
Hi Nick,

My friend told me he is doing mainly 3D animation so he can not really
help.
I am sorry for giving you incorrect information.

I will definitely re-join JapanSoc once it re-starts and I will try to
contribute to Hotaru in any way I can.

May be we can just share the price of a Hotaru theme created by a
professional web designer (you can contact me by email also).

Cheers

chottom