Outlook Express files

Scarlett en Peter

Nov 11, 2005, 7:11:21 AM11/11/05
HELP,

Where does Windows XP Pro put the Outlook Express files like sent items,
received items ?

thanks
peter
from Holland

Jack

Nov 16, 2005, 7:44:55 PM11/16/05
Assuming windows is on your C:\ drive, all your mail folders will be either
here:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID}

or (most likely) here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

GUID will be a very long number in brackets { }

Note that these are hidden files so you will have to go to Control Panel |
Folder Options | View and select Show Hidden Files. These files all have a
.dbx extension so a search including hidden files for *.dbx will also find
them.

In OE, you can also click on TOOLS | OPTIONS | the Maintenance tab and then
the STORE FOLDER... button to see where your folders are stored. That
location can be changed also. I have windows installed on my D:\ drive and
save my mail folders to C:\Mail so if I have to reformat and re-install
windows, my mail is not affected.

It is pretty easy to move your store folder to a more convenient location,
rather than buried in the Windows folder. First open Windows Explorer and
create a folder you want OE to use for the new store preferably on a
separate local drive or partition such as the one I created on C:\.. You
cannot move the store to a removable drive.
With the new folder created, open OE and click on TOOLS | OPTIONS | the
Maintenance tab and then the STORE FOLDER... button . Click the Change
button and Browse to the new folder you created. Click OK to close each
dialogue, and then close OE. When you open OE again it will automatically
move the old store to the new location.

Do NOT attempt to copy the store manually to the new location, the automated
move function works as expected, and is safe.

"Scarlett en Peter" <s.hee...@chello.nl> wrote in message