How to learn Japanese!

Inge Berthelsen

Jun 21, 2001, 12:59:32 PM6/21/01
Hi!

I would like to learn how to speak and writing in japanese. Any can help?
What would you say if i say "ilove you" or Hi my names i Inge

Best regards
Inge

Bryce R.

Jun 21, 2001, 1:38:41 PM6/21/01
???? is I love you and ?????????is "My name is ????"

Good luck!

"Inge Berthelsen" <Kurs...@gc.gl> wrote in message

Bryce R.

Jun 21, 2001, 1:40:28 PM6/21/01
Oh, yeah. Best way to learn Japanese? Live in Japan. Best way to learn
Kanji? That's still up for debate but it's best to start from 5 years old
rather than 30 something I've learned.

Œ’‘¾˜Y

Jun 22, 2001, 5:26:55 AM6/22/01
Inge Berthelsen wrote:
>What would you say if i say "ilove you"

Here is my advice, Inge...
If you really want to fall in love with a Japanese boy/girl,
never say " I love you" in Japanese. The person heard
that word can misunderstand you.
Funny but true.

>or Hi my names i Inge

That would be:
" Watashi no namae wa Inge desu."

Cheers,
kent, tokyo

Œ’‘¾˜Y

Jun 22, 2001, 5:42:04 AM6/22/01
Inge Berthelsen wrote:
>What would you say if i say "ilove you"

Here is my advice, Inge...
Unless you really want to fall in love with a Japanese boy/girl,

never say " I love you" in Japanese. The person heard
that word can misunderstand you.
Funny but true.

>or Hi my names i Inge

That would be:

" Watashi no namae wa Inge desu."

(My name is Inge.)

Hi in English would be:
"Konnichiwa"

Cheers,
kent, tokyo

pMAC

Jun 22, 2001, 5:47:04 AM6/22/01
Funny but true!

I agree.

Most Japanese never ever say it, even to their
married wives or husbands.

suki (like) or daisuki (really like) is about as far as they go.

Then again a foreigner using it would be understood as
daisuki as most Japanese understand that non-Japanese
say 'I love you' at almost the drop of a hat.

So if you want to sound like a Japanese you should just say 'suki' or
'daisuki'.

Peter.

Bryce R.

Jun 22, 2001, 12:12:44 PM6/22/01
yeah, you can't even tell you children you love them. It would sound weird.
Rally weird.

"pMAC" <py...@ceres.dti.ne.jp> wrote in message

tom...@akula.com

Jun 26, 2001, 5:00:39 PM6/26/01

Are you saying there is no actual word in Japanese for love?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:47:04 +0900, "pMAC" <py...@ceres.dti.ne.jp>

Bryce R.

Jun 26, 2001, 5:44:39 PM6/26/01
no there is a word for it, it's called ai(愛), one kanji for it. However,
it's not used like the English word "love". It would sound silly. I can say
I love my dog in English, or "Engrish", however, I couldn't say I loved my
dog in Japanese; I might be sent to a mental hospital. Rather, I'd have to
say I like my dog very much, like "daisuki" or something along those lines.
If you say 愛してる to a girl, it's much different than saying anata no koto
o daisuki desu.

One of the best ways of learning this is to just screw it up and see how
people react to it. Might be kinda shocking; but that way you'll never
forget!

<tom...@akula.com> wrote in message

tom...@akula.com

Jun 26, 2001, 6:01:38 PM6/26/01
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:44:39 -0700, "Bryce R."

>no there is a word for it, it's called ai(愛), one kanji for it.

can u please transliterate that word into English?

However,
>it's not used like the English word "love". It would sound silly. I can say
>I love my dog in English, or "Engrish", however, I couldn't say I loved my
>dog in Japanese; I might be sent to a mental hospital.

I don't get it. The word exists, but is never used?

Bryce R.

Jun 26, 2001, 6:08:01 PM6/26/01
Well it DOES mean love but it just can't be used that way, or the way WE as
English speakers would use it. It's just something that is a silly
difference between the two languages that one needs to just accept. It's
like the difference between "wa" and "ga" thing that someone else asked
about. And the "for" and "to" differences. We just have to accept it.

So, ai, means love. aishiteru means I love you or whomever your refering to.
You can actually mention who you are referring to but it's not needed. For
example, anata no koto o aishiteru. But it should already be implied because
you are with that person already and they know you are talkin to them, so
you don't need to use the pronouns. However, as someone else suggested,
don't use it except for extreme circumstances because it's rarely used.

When in doubt, until you understand it more, say daisuki instead.

<tom...@akula.com> wrote in message

tom...@akula.com

Jun 26, 2001, 8:31:52 PM6/26/01
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:08:01 -0700, "Bryce R."

>Well it DOES mean love but it just can't be used that way, or the way WE as
>English speakers would use it. It's just something that is a silly
>difference between the two languages that one needs to just accept. It's
>like the difference between "wa" and "ga" thing that someone else asked
>about. And the "for" and "to" differences. We just have to accept it.
>
>So, ai, means love. aishiteru means I love you or whomever your refering to.
>You can actually mention who you are referring to but it's not needed. For
>example, anata no koto o aishiteru. But it should already be implied because
>you are with that person already and they know you are talkin to them, so
>you don't need to use the pronouns. However, as someone else suggested,
>don't use it except for extreme circumstances because it's rarely used.
>
>When in doubt, until you understand it more, say daisuki instead.

Can you please give an example of a situation when it would not be
crazy to use it?

Bryce R.

Jun 27, 2001, 1:02:54 AM6/27/01
The only situation I could think of is using it as "in love" rather than
love.

Ie. you can tell your child you love him but you wouldn't say you are "in
love" with them.

So let's just state a new rule here, other's can fault me if I'm wrong.
Let's say from now on that Aishiteru means "in love" .....

So just replace in love with it and that's what it means?

<tom...@akula.com> wrote in message

Clark S. Cox III

Jun 27, 2001, 1:20:44 AM6/27/01
Bryce R. <br...@nospam.richertnet.com> wrote:

> Well it DOES mean love but it just can't be used that way, or the way WE as
> English speakers would use it. It's just something that is a silly
> difference between the two languages that one needs to just accept. It's
> like the difference between "wa" and "ga" thing that someone else asked
> about. And the "for" and "to" differences. We just have to accept it.
>
> So, ai, means love. aishiteru means I love you or whomever your refering to.
> You can actually mention who you are referring to but it's not needed. For
> example, anata no koto o aishiteru. But it should already be implied because
> you are with that person already and they know you are talkin to them, so
> you don't need to use the pronouns. However, as someone else suggested,
> don't use it except for extreme circumstances because it's rarely used.
>
> When in doubt, until you understand it more, say daisuki instead.

If it does have a use, then what is it?

pMAC

Jun 27, 2001, 10:06:20 AM6/27/01
Use 'aishiteiru, when you are
1) joking
2) talking about a movie star or exaggerating.
3) writing a story.
4) or be very careful.

I recently watched 3 Japanese families talk about the word 'aishiteiru'
over 3 weeks of drinking parties.

I being the only non-Japanese present.

They want to say 'aishiteiru', but due to tradition and shyness, it is just
powerful a word to use seriously.

A man was egged on to say it to his wife and eventually he 'mumbled' it out
while looking at the floor.

Of the 4 married couples and 2 unmarried couples, none of the men admitted
to saying it ever.

That night after much drinking one man tried to say it to his (2 eeks new)
bride.
He tried to do it jokingly by changing the meaning of the syllables with
actions.

'ai' ( to meet) shi (4) te ( hand) iru ( here).

It all looked very sad to me.

It could be a 'macho' image and traditional way of thinking that modern
younger men and women
are trying to change.

I think there is a balance.

Westerners use 'love' to easily and Japanese ( possibly most Asians) don't.

P.

"Clark S. Cox III" <clar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

健太郎

Jun 27, 2001, 1:43:42 PM6/27/01
Peter,

pMAC wrote

>Use 'aishiteiru, when you are
>1) joking
>2) talking about a movie star or exaggerating.
>3) writing a story.
>4) or be very careful.

最近は自分の家族の子供などに対しては、人前で
「わたしは子供を愛している」などとハッキリいうよ
うになっています。
しかし、面と向かってこのことばを使うことがないの
です。とくに欧米のようにハッグしていうことはまず
ありません。本当の欧米の習慣を知らない日本の
若者が映画の見過ぎでか人前でも平気でキスをす
るのと対照的ですね。

アイラヴユーの「ラヴ」を何と訳すかについては明治
期の文学者は大変苦労しました。坪内逍遥はシェイ
クスピアの訳業の過程でとくに苦心し、けっきょく、
「大切」ということばをその訳に与えています。
東洋の考え方は胸に秘めた大切な真情は軽々しく
口に出さないというのが美徳なのです。そのかわり
東洋ではその感情を歌に託してきました。
愛という漢字を発明したのは中国人ですが、洞察に
富んでいる当の中国人はすでに漢字の愛から心を
取り去ってしまっています。

_______
kentaro@tokyo

Bryce R.

Jun 27, 2001, 3:20:39 PM6/27/01
Yeah....., Inge is going to get a lot out of that explanation!!! Hey Inge,
Kento boy seems to think you read kanji but don't know how to use "ai" in
Japanese! I'm laughing so hard I just fell of my donkey!

"健太郎" <kent_...@d1.dion.ne.jp> wrote in message

Anthony

Jun 27, 2001, 8:45:31 PM6/27/01

"Bryce R." <br...@nospam.richertnet.com> wrote in message

> Yeah....., Inge is going to get a lot out of that explanation!!! Hey Inge,
> Kento boy seems to think you read kanji but don't know how to use "ai" in
> Japanese! I'm laughing so hard I just fell of my donkey!

You have a donkey?!

Bryce R.

Jun 28, 2001, 12:56:21 PM6/28/01
Yeah, I don't know what I was doing on it. I mean I don't even know how to
ride it! And I shouldn't try and ride it when I'm reading email either.....
it's dangerous!

"Anthony" <anthon...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

vituz...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2017, 11:31:10 PM6/5/17
Inge Berthelsen於 2001年6月21日星期四 UTC-7上午9時59分32秒寫道:
私はあなたを愛して。(wa ta shi wa a na ta o ai shi te.)is I love u.
私の名前はインゲです。(wa ta shi no na ma e wa in ge de su.)is My name is Inge.