Sukiyaki

1 view

Rhonda

Apr 21, 2005, 4:30:15 PM4/21/05
I am looking for an authentic recipe for Sukiyaki. When I was a young
child a lady from Japan visited our church and made this. I still
remember how good it was.

Serge Zoritch

Nov 4, 2013, 7:59:56 PM11/4/13
* Exported from TheRecipeManager *

Osaka Sukiyaki

Source: The Sukiyaki Coobook
Website:
Origin: Japan
Category: One-Pot Dinners
Type: Miscellaneous
Classifications:
Difficulty: [difficulty - 1 char max - (1=Easiest, 4=Hardest)]
Seasonality: [ ] Winter [ ] Spring [ ] Summer [ ] Fall [place X inside
[ ] to note season]

Qty Measure Ingredient
1 1/2 Pounds Beef Sirloin -- Sliced Very Thin
2 Medium Onion
1 Bunch Green Onion -- Cut 2 Inches Long
1 Bunch Fresh Spinach -- Washed
3/4 Pound Firm Tofu -- Cubed 3/4"
6 Ounces Shirataki Noodles -- Soaked
1 Cup Dashi
1 Cup Mirim
1 Cup Soya
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Ajinomoto
Sugar And Soya To Taste
1 pat Butter

Instructions: Heat Sukiyaki pot or heavy flat bottomed pan (large) and
melt pat of butter until it sizzles. Drop the thin sliced beef, one
piece at a time. into the pan taking care to keep the beef slices
separated.
Add half the Mirim, soya, sugar, Ajinomoto and cook for about one
minute until the beef is no longer pink. See Variations about using
Ajinomoto (MSG).
Using cooking chopsicks, pile the meat into one corner of the pot and
add onion, mushrooms, Shirataki noodles, tofu and fresh spinach to pot,
taking care to keep the individual ingredients separated into
individual sections of the pot. Add the remainder of the Mirim, soy,
sugar and the Dashi to the pot so that the majority of the ingredients
are submerged. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked to your liking
and the shirataki is soft.
Take the pot to the dinner table, hand out chopsticks and bowls of
steamed rice and have everyone help themselves form the pot.

Variations: I use Dashi No Moto (instant Dashi) which already has MSG
in it. I, therefore, do NOT add the Ajinomoto to the ingredients as
the recipe calls for. I only use the Ajinomoto if making Dashi ffrom
scratch.

To serve Osaka style or for Sukiyaki parties:
Set a small, single burner, hot plate (either electric, propane or
butane) at the cententer of the table.
Using a heavy bottomed pan, melt the pat of butter until it sizzles
then add the thinly sliced beef, one at a time, taking care to keep the
slices apart and yet whole.
At this time the guests are drinking Sake and beginning to help
themselves to the beef as it cooks to their liking. The other
ingredients (tofu, mushrooms, shirataki noodles, onions and spinach)
have been placed on the table within easy reach of the guests.
The server adds the sauce ingredients to the content of the pot and
invites the guests to add ingredients and cook them to their liking.
In Osaka guests are all served one raw betten egg in a bowl. As the
guests remove the pipping hot ingredients from the pot, they dip them
in the raw egg to cool them off. As the dinner continues the egg
slowly cooks into a custard from the heat of the food dipped into it.
As the Sukiyaki meal winds down, the cooking sauce is ladled into the
guests bowls and served as a soup.

PS: I usually get the butcher to partially freeze the beef and then
shave it about 1/8 - 1/4" thick. Well marbled beef is better than
leaner cuts.

Serves: 4

Enjoy!