GitHub Discussions

Oleksandr Porunov

Dec 8, 2020, 2:13:30 PM12/8/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi,

GitHub adds a new feature - "GitHub Discussions" which could be a handy place for user's collaboration.
We often see that users open GitHub Issues to ask some question / etc. instead of going to Google group for the discussion. By enabling GitHub Discussions we will have a big button in the project repository which might be a handy tool for new users to collaborate.

Best regards,
Oleksandr Porunov

Abhay Pandit

Dec 9, 2020, 12:18:40 AM12/9/20
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that will be very helpful.

faro...@googlemail.com

Dec 9, 2020, 3:36:07 AM12/9/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi

Yeah, it would like have such a feature for a long time. I see often issues the issue with google groups that just reactions is not possible and also including code snippets would be great. What i would hope is to have a single search for discussions and issues.

Vote +1

Greetings,
Jan

BO XUAN LI

Dec 9, 2020, 10:58:41 AM12/9/20
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely agree. Users might not be very happy when they see their questions get closed on GitHub, and some of them are reluctant to use a mailing list for communication (not to mention Google Groups is not available in every country/company).

I’ve also seen discussions around migrating to GitHub Discussions on other communities, e.g. https://github.com/snowpackjs/snowpack/issues/606 seems their users are happy about the move.

Vote +1

Best regards,
Boxuan

Oleksandr Porunov

Dec 11, 2020, 9:08:50 AM12/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
Also, we can convert issues to discussions instead of closing them. I think, it might me useful often times.

My vote is +1

I will go ahead and create base Discussions. In case anyone have any opposite opinion, please, share your thoughts. We can always turn Discussions off.

Best regards,
Oleksandr Porunov

Oleksandr Porunov

Dec 11, 2020, 9:36:53 AM12/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
JanusGraph Discussions are set here: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/discussions
Right now it has default 4 categories: General, Ideas, Q&A, Show and tell. We may need to think about useful categories and change or add them. I just tried to move GitHub Issue with a label "question" to a GitHub Discussion. It works nice. I believe it will help us manage discussions in a convenient way.
All we need is to think about categories: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/discussions/categories