Comfort foods

Aynsley Kirshenbaum

Jan 31, 2013, 7:56:20 AM1/31/13
to january-2013...@googlegroups.com

Please chime in, everyone! Here are some of mine:
*Chicken soup (especially when sick!)
*Ezekiel bread toasted really dark with almond butter and a bit of raspberry preserves
*sweet potato casserole: slice two sweet potatoes into quarter inch discs, put a later down to cover the bottom of a brownie sheet, top with a bag of frozen spinach, sprinkle gruyere cheese, salt and pepper and do another layer. Bake 45 minutes at 375
*oatmeal with almond butter and a few squares of 85% chocolate

Interesting, when I think of comfort foods, they're always warm and can usually be eaten with a spoon :)

Bryan Zuckerman

Jan 31, 2013, 8:48:54 AM1/31/13
to Aynsley Kirshenbaum, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
Pancakes. Waffles. Pizza. Donuts.

Sent from my iPhone

Beth Conroy

Jan 31, 2013, 11:21:23 AM1/31/13
to Bryan Zuckerman, Aynsley Kirshenbaum, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
Ha!

Yes, my *real* comfort foods have been pizza, bread, ice cream, baked goods, pad thai and mochas. While I go to them for comfort they have been making me feel like shit more so then comforting me. I even crave these foods when I'm sick and have to try to force myself to eat healthy comfort foods.

This morning I took my 12th hot yoga class in a row and I was ravenous on my way home. I honest to god craved brocolli and sausage for breakfast. Hows that for comfort food! Ha! Guess my desires are changing as my body cleans itself out.

Here's to hoping that my favorite comfort foods end up being more like Aynsley's as I change.

Misty Fried

Jan 31, 2013, 12:13:25 PM1/31/13
to Beth Conroy, Bryan Zuckerman, Aynsley Kirshenbaum, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
I guess my normal comfort foods are cookies, cakes, crepes, teriyaki, noodles, mashed potatoes, etc.

Last night I had a wonderful sugar-free, soul food, dessert. It was baked pears, topped with a little agave sweeter granola and a dollop of cherry butter (preserved cherry spread - no other ingredients). It was so good that my friends who were pretty skeptical about having a sugar free dessert now want to make it for dinner parties.  I hope that's not considered cheating or finding the loophole, not that I plan on having this all the time but it definitely hit the spot.

Misty

Jeanmarie

Jan 31, 2013, 12:31:24 PM1/31/13
to Misty Fried, Beth Conroy, Bryan Zuckerman, Aynsley Kirshenbaum, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
I have to say the sweet potato casserole sounds really good.

 I like chicken soup, brownies, tea with sugar and milk, muffins, pancakes, eggs. Really a mix of things (most unhealthy though).

Sent from my iPhone

Claire Courtade

Jan 31, 2013, 1:26:24 PM1/31/13
to Jeanmarie, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
I've been having a lot of soups: split pea, lentil with other veggies added in, butternut squash puree, and mushroom veggie barley (recipe below, it's veggie friendly). So far I've been able to resist bread and crackers and have been reaching for nuts and apples instead (a LOT of nuts and apples); I also try to avoid meat, but avoiding dairy has been basically impossible for me, which is ok. Apple slices with peanut/almond butter is a nice comfort food snack.

obvz the undercurrent here is biscuits with cream gravy and muffins for dessert, but seems like pining is not the point.

And, I'm surprised and happy to find that I'm really not craving junk food--my usual Twix or Ben and Jerrys sounds gross right now--I'm just craving breads in the morning and pastas at night. But, thanks for the emails, everyone--they're truly encouraging, and if I wasn't part of the group, I would have fallen off the wagon on day 1 with my usual bullshit justifications. Let's keep it up!

Claire

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 cups stock (I use veggie or chicken, beef is good too)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 carrots, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed
2 cups chopped canned tomato
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound medium-sized button mushrooms, brushed, trimmed, and quartered
3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley

Directions

Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add 3
tablespoons of the oil. Add
the carrot, onion, and celery to the pan and saute until tender, about
10 minutes. Add the
stock to the pan. Bring to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a
gentle simmer. Add the
thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer the soup, covered, for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the
mushrooms and saute until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the
mushrooms with salt
and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.
Season the soup
with salt and pepper.

**I also added spinach at the end and it was delish**

Elizabeth Rapkoch

Jan 31, 2013, 2:39:14 PM1/31/13
to january-2013...@googlegroups.com
My comfort foods are chicken tortilla soup (going to make some today, in fact!), pizza, baked goods, and anything potato ala Bubba from Forest Gump (baked potatoes, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, French fried potatoes, potato salad, potato chips, and on and on). I have found that roasted sweet potatoes (sweet potato "fries" baked in the oven) substitute nicely for the most part. And I recently bought gluten free pizza shells from a local pizzeria then loaded them with veggies and just enough cheese to get my fix. Not a miracle, but served the purpose!

Libby

Sent from my iPhone