Re: And... it's already begun

2 просмотра

Aynsley Kirshenbaum

не прочитано,
7 янв. 2014 г., 20:30:4007.01.2014
– january-2013...@googlegroups.com
For more on whole milk, see this op-ed from the NY Times from fascinating food journalist Nina Planck.

Keep in mind that much of the nutritional benefits of milk (vitamin D, vitamin A, calcium) you can't actually absorb without the presence of fat. So, please choose at least 2% if not whole.  You'll also find you're satisfied with less whole milk-it's filling!-so you won't increase your calories as much as you fear

Plain (as in, unsweetened) oatmeal is a great choice. I personally like it with a scoop of almond butter and a square (or 2/3) of 85% dark chocolate melted into it, but you can always go more conventional and add some chopped nuts and berries :-) Oatmeal is also a great winter swap for cold cereal-you'll get way more micronutrients from the whole oats and it's such a cozy was to start the day

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM, Shelley Grams <sgg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh man I am totally switching to whole milk! Woo Hoo!

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:11:47 PM UTC-5, Beth Conroy wrote:
Hi all!

Yeah, I too Shelley was used to being told fat free milk was best, but that was amidst the "fat" is bad for you diet craze. Healthy fats are great for us and as aynsley mentioned our body absorbs the natural sugar much differently. So I personally try to switch to regular milk recently or coconut milk since I'm allergic to lots of nuts.

This morning I completely forgot about the purge immediately and scooped sugar into my coffee! Whoops. Goes to show I'm deep in some patterns. Tomorrow I'll use maple syrup :)

I feel so much more alive without the sugars and have stopped craving them all the time over the last few weeks. But alas it is a trigger for me so none suits me way better then just a few sweets. Though I feel okay with agave or maple syrup since it doesn't give me headaches or Jack up my moods. So when I am feeling deprived that, versus fake sugars,will be my goal.

I'm way into plain oatmeal with tons of fresh organic blueberries, they're worth the splurge and taste decadent.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 7, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Shelley Grams <sgg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oops sorry Aynsley I accidentally emailed you instead of posting.

So, wow, I’m confused.  For years I’ve been told to drink 1% or fat free milk.  My family drinks a lot of milk.  What should I be buying?  Whole for me and 1% for everyone else or whole milk for everyone?

Shelley

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:35:41 PM UTC-5, Aynsley Kirshenbaum wrote:

Cows milk is fine, though 2% at least and whole is best. The fat helps slow the absorption of sugar in your blood stream which helps control insulin levels. Half and half is great! I also really like unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk.

Bread by nature is pretty high on the glycemic index, even whole grain based bread. Try a sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel, or rye or sourdough and top it with protein and fat (and veggies!)

On Jan 7, 2014 1:30 PM, "Holly Thompson" <hollyat...@gmail.com> wrote:
To the point about added sugar and Jen's almond milked coffee, is cow's milk "OK?" I do see that many soy milks and rice milks have added sugar, but not cow's, right? I'm open to experimenting during these two weeks, but I'm pretty darn attached to half and half in my morning coffee!

Also, any suggestions for commercial bread that doesn't have added sugar? So far, the most striking thing for me is just how many products have added sugar in them. Even organic sliced multi-grain bread from Vermont Bread Company has "Organic cane sugar" (2g) in it!

Finally, just throwing out there that pistachios in the shell are my new obsession!

Holly

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Aynsley Kirshenbaum <aynsleyki...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kind bars are on the border, look for ones with less than 10g sugar and try to limit it to a few times a week. A better option is a handful of nuts and an apple

On Jan 7, 2014 11:14 AM, "Rabbi Miriam Terlinchamp" <ra...@templesholom.net> wrote:
Baked apples were 375 for about 20 minutes. However, you could cook them for longer, depending on if you want it to taste cake or applesauce-y.

Ayns -- what about kind bars? Are they off limits? please say no.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Aynsley Kirshenbaum <aynsleyki...@gmail.com> wrote:

There's really no hard and fast guideline for grams of sugar, we're more concerned with added sugar. For example, you may buy Skippy peanut butter, which has 2g of sugar, but it's added whereas your plain yogurt with 9 grams is all naturally occurring milk sugar. Check the labels, your products should have very simple ingredient lists and sugar shouldn't be on it :)

If that isn't clear, please let me know!

On Jan 7, 2014 9:25 AM, "Jen Schenkel" <jensc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Morning all!

Aynsley, what is the highest number of grams of sugar that is OK on a food label?  I bought a bunch of food to support me at Whole Foods yesterday, and for instance, the plain lowfat Greek yogurt I bought has 9g of sugar per serving.  Is that too much for a true purge?  Other things have 4 or 5g...is there a guideline here?

Miriam, what temperature did you bake your apples at, and for how long?

In other news, I tried almond milk with my coffee this am, and it was just fine.  Not as good as the cow variety, but it'll do.

Stay warm, y'all!

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Aynsley Kirshenbaum <aynsleyki...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think this was for the group. Sounds DELICIOUS!